Johnson bar

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jerryb, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jerryb

Jerryb Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Can anybody tell me what a johnson bar is:biggrin_25512:

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zenix

zenix Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Oregon
    johnson bar or trolley valve are trailer brake handles usually on the right side of the steering collum or up on the dash. its just a trailer brake handle general used to check the trailer brakes and that your coupled. works like the foot brake but only for just the trailer and isn't meant for use while driving down the road.

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  4. Strngs012

Strngs012 Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Palm Coast, Fl
    True, but I can remember when I first started out all the really old timers would tell you different. They would tell their war stories of flying down the interstate on the verge of jack-knifing and a quick jerk on the handle would straighten the trailer right up.

5. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Well Iam not an OLD TIMER...LOL

But Everyone up here at our Terminal calls it a Johnson Bar:biggrin_25525:

I think it has many names (some good & some bad):yes2557:

6. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Another name for it is "Broker Stick". As an owner-operator pulling piggy-back trailers owned by the railroads, I generally used only the trailer brakes on an off-ramp. After nine years and 920,000 miles, I sold my tractor. It still had the original brake shoes and drums.

jason6541 and tarmadilo Thank this.
  7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Purely for historical reference, but in railroad terms, on a steam powered locomotive, the large bar that the engineer used for controlling the engine was known as a johnson bar. It's connections went into the steam dome above the boiler where it controlled a valve that allowed steam pressure to be diverted into the various systems, allowing the train to go ahead, or diverting steam into the opposite system, providing braking power. Over the years, the term transferred into our field of endeavor.

8. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    It's known as a trailer brake up here. Boring, eh? LOL :)

9. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Well, yes. If you Canadians want to get with the program, you are going to have to come up with some new and exciting slang terms for things or history will just pass you by.

Lumper Humper and Deere hunter Thank this.
  10. kenbc

kenbc Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Jhonson bar = Spike? (or "trailer spike").... Or atleast thats what Ive been told to call it...

11. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    Well i guess this reneck need to get with the times too--i was taught that is was "trailer brakes". Never heard it called a johnson bar either! LMAO Man i need that slang dictionary for truckers!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.