Judge: Swift Transportation Misclassified Drivers As Independent Contractors

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by drvrtech77, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Right, 2 seperate entities. The truck is being purchased through their financing division.

You in turn are operating that truck under their authority running their freight? Are you free to take the truck while under their authority anywhere you want?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Im free to terminate my contract with sni anytime and take my trk elsewhere...you also when you lease onto a carrier you run their frieght under their authority...swift like everyone else if you leave the truck stays..not with sni...

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Schneider has run stuff differently just to avoid stuff like this.

Their are a million companies that run stuff like Swift and limit the contractor from going outside the company. Swift just may be the one of the first to get called on it.

Basically Swift wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want that truck and driver dedicated to the company and under their thumb as an employee and not in any competition with them for freight. But they also want to call the fleecer an independent contractor so they an screw him with less then minimum wage and avoid paying the taxes on it.

To do this, they lease him a truck under one contract that defines him as an independent contractor free to take the truck where he wants. Then he gets a whole another contract to sign that that says he will lease onto only Swifts DOT number and be dedicated to Swift. So taken apart both contracts look legal. The catch is, you don't get one contract without the other.

scottied67 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  5. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    I am free to terminate my contract with Schneider anytime I want and take my truck anywhere else... Just remember when you lease on to a carrier you're hauling Freight under their Authority... unlike Swift and many of these other companies when those guys leave those companies the truck stays there not with Schneider Finance I can leave with the truck...

6. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    Exactly... If companies like Swift and the others would just be smart enough to allow these drivers to take the trucks wherever they want to as long as the drivers continue to make the truck payment then they wouldn't have this classification problem but they want to limit them to their own company which is getting them in legal hot water

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    As I indicated before, I've only had experience with one company as a lessee. The sub-lease was one of their trucks, which I in turn was obligated to run their freight in their trailers.

The terms of the lease were outlined clearly, including an amortization schedule that included what the pay-off would be at the end of the lease if I wanted to buy the truck and get the title.

I signed a sub-contractor agreement. It never dawned on me that after the fact, I would hire a lawyer to sue them because I didn't realize they had stuck a gun to my head and really intended to screw me.

The lease was a walk away lease and after about 6 mos. that's what I did, I walked away. Got my own truck/trailer & authority and haven't looked back.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I suspect this is only the beginning of a very expensive redesign of the entire trucking industry. If this ruling holds the IRS will be able to go after these companies for years of Social Security tax. And they could be hell liable for the value of benefits not provided, which in turn could open up IRS 125 fairness testing issues.

Infosaur Thanks this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Not only that but think about the millions of undocumented workers who have been paid under the table doing everything from restaurant work to landscaping & construction work. If and when they become documented, the lawyers will have field day going after their former "employers" for back taxes, wages & benefits.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

This is why I'm a company driver.
    I make less, but the headaches are less too.

Now I may be a bit simple but it seems to me if you run under somebody else's authority then by definition you ARE an employee of theirs. If the check from the consignee is made out to the carrier and then the carrier pays you then you ARE an employee. If the company you run for won't let you take "your" tractor to a competing firm and haul one of their loads at your discretion then you ARE an employee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.