Just asking around

Discussion in 'Trucker Forum Classifieds & Trading Post' started by Kpontrkn1, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Kpontrkn1

Kpontrkn1 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Riverview, FL
    Hello all! I have a question for those that are familiar with the going rates on trucks. I am building a new glider and am not interested in owning a second truck. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what some of you might think is a reasonable price for my current truck. I will list some basic spec's, and then if there is more you think a prospective buyer should know, please let me know.

2003 Pete 379EXD
    Cat 6nz 475
    1,065,000 miles - no overhaul
    3.58 rears
    63" bunk

The truck was a northern truck before I bought, so there is some wear and tear and some rust on the frame, but I have replaced any parts that have been affected by rust. Please let me know what you think a fair price would be. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Go to the truckpaper site and see what the one's like it sold for.

Low 20's

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    A 2003 with no maintenance and a million miles? Maybe 5k if your lucky. Tho most people will expect records, average mpg, pictures (outside front view hood closed, cab interior, rear view showing tire treads and back of cab, raise the hood so buyers can see engine and front tire tread)

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I was watching one of those doco's on court think it was "Hot Bench" anyway some poor citizen was trying to get there money back on a vehicle purchase in a private sale, guess who won the case? The seller of course cause it was sold "As is" the buyer didn't bother to get the vehicle checked by a qualified mechanic and apparently only a couple days later it had a terrible knock in the engine and was blowing out blue smoke, the moral of the story is there is no guarantee when one buys a vehicle privately unless its stated in a written contract, so choose wisely.

6. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    You must be smoking some good stuff. Depending on condition with a fresh motor that truck is probably worth 50-60k. Without fresh motor I'd say 25-30k.

whoopNride, Oxbow, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    good luck on getting that. a similar truck was asked about before and had the same result. no maintenanc = low value. As I reread it, the new engine is going in the one he is keeping. Not the one with a million miles

8. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    Why don't you show me some ads for a early 2000 379 with a 6nz for 5k.

Elroythekid, whoopNride, Oxbow and 7 others Thank this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Engine is about $10k as a core.

Oxbow, snowman_w900 and mslashbar Thank this.
  10. Kpontrkn1

Kpontrkn1 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Riverview, FL
    I just want to clarify, I always do the proper maintenance on this truck at proper intervals. What I haven't done is an in-frame yet, and that is only because I haven't seen a need to. Oil samples are perfect, never needs oil between changes which is every 20k miles.

Oxbow and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  11. Kpontrkn1

Kpontrkn1 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Riverview, FL
    Great advice. Truck paper had 3 listing that were exactly what I have and the 2 that have not had a rebuild yet were low 30's, and the one that had a recent rebuild was just under 40k.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.