Just Bought A Truck...Signs Required???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by cvltmxnd, Nov 30, 2020.

1. cvltmxnd

cvltmxnd Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    How's it going everyone?

I just bought a truck and have to pick it up in Idaho. My hauling company is located in Chicago. Do I need anything on the sides of my truck while I drive to Chicago? I don't want to get stopped at every weight station. Is there anything that I need to carry so that I don't get in trouble with the law?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Needs to have reg and insurance while on public hwy. The reg part can be tricky, is sale from dealer or pvt party ? If dealer usually they can give your some kind of temp plate but each state is different, be prepared to buy permits as you cross into a state.

cvltmxnd Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What’s a hauling company?

5. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I just bought a truck in Texas and drove to WY with nothing on it except a temporary plate. Bill of sale ought to be fine. I wouldnt put any stickers on it, ive heard it is a bad thing to have stickers before the truck is for hire, like the USDOT. Just what i heard though i cant back it up with evidence.

cvltmxnd Thanks this.
  6. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
  7. cvltmxnd

cvltmxnd Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    The company that I will be hauling for once I get the truck. I have to haul under someone else's authority until mine is fully completed.

8. cvltmxnd

cvltmxnd Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Thanks for the replies. The hauling company said I can purchase bobtail insurance for the trip and the dealership should provide me with temp tags. I have an eld to keep track of what taxes I owe in each state. Hopefully this is all I need.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  9. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I think you’re good. If not you’ll get a ticket. Relax if you do, it won’t be the last.

cvltmxnd Thanks this.
  10. cvltmxnd

cvltmxnd Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Thanks!:biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:

11. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Get a hunters permit good for 30 days acts like a temporary registration. Can buy temporary bobtail insurance all in like 350. To move your truck with no numbers on it and drive pass the scales as you are driving your new car. Its not registered to haul so its just transporting you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.