Just got a 86 W900 w/ 3406 - what should I be ready for?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Madnessnnp, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Madnessnnp

Madnessnnp Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Here we go...
    Ok, I know it's 26 years old. with probably a million plus on it.
    It's now a dump truck, with trailer brakes, no major fluid leaks. It uses about a gallon of oil over 4000 miles(including an oil leak that's since been fixed), but that's about it.
    Feel free to post your suggestions on what I should be looking forward to as I move into this new adventure.
    I've been driving and maintaining other people's trucks for about 12 years or more, but those were usually much newer and none were a KW. Just looking for some basic advice.
    Thanks guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    hope it isn't an A-model 3406. not a bad engine just not very fuel efficient.

4. Madnessnnp

Madnessnnp Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Nope, a B. Been getting close to 7 climbing up and down the hills around here.

5. BeenJammin

BeenJammin Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    On the Cat side, expect to scour the US for simple Cat system parts. Expect to buy a bushel basket full of Cat reman nozzles coming out of Mexico to get six properly working ones. Also expect prices to be high, the older the engine is, the higher the part price. There are some aftermarket items availalable, but very few. The new scroll fuel system came along in 1985, so if it's a 86 model, it should be a B, may be a JWAC engine though.

wore out Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi madness, get ready for a slew of "thumbs up". One of the coolest trucks of all time.:smt023:smt023:smt023

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.