Just got approved for IL CDL grant

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DC818, Apr 13, 2017.

1. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    After looking here and following some advice from others I decided to try the WIOA program that Illinois provides and was approved today after a month long process. It looks like I will be starting at a local CDL school by the end of this month. I want to be a little ahead of the curve so should I already start to study from a free CDL manual that's provided by my state? As well as all the certificates study guides? I've never really driven any trucks/manual in my life but luckily my cousin has a manual he has let me practice on here and there a few times. I've also been in the DSD industry for the past four years but decided to let that go because it was killing my body working for Pepsi. Any additional advice is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you all...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Do you need to have your permit before school starts and/or you DOT card?

Either way, open the book up now and start reading. I don't know if I would worry about Tanker, Doubles/Triples, and HazMat right now. You can if you want but they are not a requirement for schooling or obtaining your CDL. You can add any or all of them on at later time if you want to. In the big picture they will help you in general terms because they will allow you to apply to more places, but at the beginning I would just concentrate on what you need to get thru school, General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Pre-Trip.

There are practice tests here on this site, scroll up to the top for the link. Keep reading and taking the practice tests.

DC818 Thanks this.
  4. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    @Suspect Zero

I stopped by the school yesterday and she didn't state to me any of that. So I will check but it doesn't seem to be needed for me to start there, 160 Driving Academy.

Of course we all want things done as quick as possible but thanks for the input. I'll definitely slow it down and get the basics down first and then proceed.

5. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I've heard of 160 but never dealt with them in any way. I would check and see about the permit and DOT physical. Some places want you to have your permit when class starts and some include the time to learn, test and get your permit into the class schedule.

Either way the person there should be able to tell you what you do/don't need to do before class actually starts, what to show with first day and all that kind of stuff.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

DC818 Thanks this.
  6. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Give the school a call, mine paid for my permit, and DOT Physical. The school that was second on my list did not pay for either. I am using a WIOA Grant to fund mine. Weird thing, both charge the same price to WIOA.

DC818 Thanks this.
  7. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    It's two schools near me but one is literally down the street, at least the road testing site is. I believe they do after looking on the website but doesn't hurt to ask and make sure. Less money out of my pocket that I don't have

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  8. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Get ahead of the game and start studying the handbook. Take the tests on this site. If they make you pay for the permit, i would get it as soon as you feel confident that you will pass

DC818 Thanks this.
  9. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Did one early and failed but I didn't study. 60 but needed an 80 to pass. Definitely study now and take it again in a few days to see if I absorbed any of it.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    IL is real strict on the pre-trip inspection which will be done toward the end of school just before graduation. Pre-trip inspection is the hardest part of getting a cdl in IL and NJ.
    Memorize the IL pre-trip inspection word for word or the dimwits at the DMV will fail you.
    For example, if the book says "air indicator" then say "air indicator" and not "air guage" or you fail that question. If the book says "air line" then say "air line" and not "air hose" or you fail that question. They act like the world is coming to an end over something like that which has absolutely nothing to do with safety or a proper inspection.

DC818 Thanks this.
  11. DC818

DC818 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Will follow that advice along with whatever else you got for me. I'll also be asking you about companies in my area to apply to because it seems like you are one of the most knowledgeable around these parts. Thanks for the help now and in the future.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.