Just got hit on I-80 toll road in Ohio, car spun out and hit me.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by shorty102292, May 26, 2022.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    i had a dummy in california couple years ago slam into the back of my flatbed about 90mph. i was doing about 45mph coming down after cajon pass from the truck bypass lane to merging back to i15.. slammed my trailer then lost control and swerved across 5 lanes of traffic somehow avoiding everyone else and crashed up against the concrete median.. no insurance, expired registration and suspended license.. destroyed 3 trailer tires and mudflap and dot bumper was all bent up... never heard anything about it. insurance paid for everything. they took a statement from me and that was the last i ever heard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Please tell me that you took more pics than just a bent wheel.

4. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    DO NOT talk to the car's insurance company. Refer any call to your company. Do not give them a statement.

5. shorty102292

shorty102292 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Of course i did. And im smart enough to shut up about anything else. My statement clearly states he simply spun out and hit me.
    And yes they were definitely towed female passenger went to hospital.
    To be very blunt, the whole situation blows but i certainly hope the girl is ok we can all buy new cars

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You have to be tested only if 1) someone had to be taken from the scene for medical attention AND you get a ticket. Or 2) a vehicle has to be towed from the scene AND you get a ticket. Or if there is a fatality- automatic.
    You aren't required to get drug tested. But that being said, I have had other drivers that insisted they be tested. A CYA thing. Leave no doubt about your sobriety when the lawyers get a hold of things.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You were doing 70 and it was raining hard. Do not tell the insurance people that.

8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    In commercial vehicle accidents, and the way they process out in settlement and then courts a percentage of wrongdoing is often pinned on a commercial driver even though in a conventional accident they would be 100% not at fault. You never know what angle an opposing attorney is going to come from and they get extremely creative with their approach. I know a truck driver who had a lady run a red light at an intersection slam into the side of his trailer and she was pregnant. She survived but her child still in the womb did not. She ran the red light. Open and shut case, correct? Nope. It dragged out in court for almost 3 freaking years. And at the end they agreed he was 12% at fault. Because several blocks up the road he had been going 4 mph over the 35 mph speed limit and it was determined he would not have been at the intersection when she ran through the red light if he had been going the actual speed limit. I tell you this example because you have no idea what kind of BS the opposing side is gonna come up with. Oh, and based on that 12% that he was found to be at fault, his company had to pay out a $1.5 million claim. It gets crazy out there. Keep your mouth shut.

9. shorty102292

shorty102292 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I did a urinalysis this afternoon, absolutely no worries i was more asking about the process of all this.
    And to the one who says don't say how fast i was going, yes i was running the speed limit. In the rain. That one really bugs me i didn't spin out and play pinball across the freeway

10. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Sometimes I feel like trucks are four wheeler magnets.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Your whole statement sounds like you weren't paying attention, 70 is too fast in the rain for a semi. Hope you have a drive cam.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.