Just got my CDL today, any advice is great advice!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by giroux320, Sep 12, 2019.

1. giroux320

giroux320 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Just got my CDL with Haz, Dbl/Trp, and Tanker. I have been applying for local and regional positions around the Philadelphia area. My long term goal is to land a linehaul position with an LTL Company around my area but I know I'm gonna have to get my experience up prior. If you have any advice on which companies I should consider to begin racking up my miles please share. Any other advise is great as well! Thanks!

FoolsErrand, FlaSwampRat and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    You'll probably have to start at the bottom running dry van to get experience. I doubt many will hire a complete newbie and throw them in a tanker hauling hazmat. But I could be wrong.

Good luck and be safe.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    @Chinatown will be along shortly.

If you hire on with someone, do your best not to be noticed. As in that one who quietly goes about his loads unnoticed by anyone. the problem with newbies is they sometimes wanna run the company after two months. And wonder what happened when they get dumped like a undesirable boy or girlfriend.

The next thing goes without saying. When you move a semi a inch here to there, you are responsible personally, economically and so forth for anything, and any people you hit and break. Look around a bit before you decide to move. Or better yet get out and look a thousand times before you move, no one is going to sit there and say hey, you are now taking too long. (You will get enough of that already soonest)

Never mind the money, put away as much as you can unspent. Trucking is entering a downturn, so give thanks you aint been disposed of yet and if the freight happens to be a touch slow, be happy you have some savings. Never borrow for anything. Particularly tolls.

I can go on. But at some point you will have to do it for yourself. Not everyone can do it. Or should.

FoolsErrand and giroux320 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One new cdl grad in York was hired by Estes Express. He was shocked; didn't think he had a chance.
    Try Estes Express and Old Dominion Freight Line.
    He went to a job fair that Estes Express had and was hired on the spot.
    Several of us on this forum encouraged him to go to the job fair, as in, "What do you have to lose?"

WesternPlains and faux_maestro Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thats the general idea. No newbies in gasoline tankers.

But they will stick a newbie into a bulk cement tanker right quick. Its relatively mindless.

7. giroux320

giroux320 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Thanks! Yeah I figured I would have to start from the bottom so I'm ok with that. I just want to see what companies are out there that I am missing. The school that I went through had a few large companies to pick from but I honestly wasn't interested. They all spoke about high earnings which seemed very inflated.

WesternPlains and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. giroux320

giroux320 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I appreciate the advice! Thanks again

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A&S Kinard - click here > Apply On Company Site
    Requirements:
    • 6 Months Recent CDL-A Tractor Trailer Experience
    Are you fresh out of CDL school or have a few months of driving under your belt? We are looking for you to join our NEW Driver Trainee program!
    [​IMG]

giroux320 Thanks this.
  10. xairx

xairx Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Central transport is a bottom of the barrel company but they may take you. Hell, they take everybody and they're desperate. You will learn to drive and back up almost anywhere in no time.

11. giroux320

giroux320 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I live about 5 minutes from the Old Dominion terminal in Pennsauken, NJ but they are currently not hiring for drivers. The one thing I seen about Estes was that I would mainly be a dockworker which I'm not interested in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.