Just got on cd looking for advice

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Whseddon, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Whseddon

Whseddon Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2017
    just got all legal and i am now on central dispatch looking at loads to book. I live next to a dealer auction so thats where my pick ups will be. Im looking for advice on how not to get screwed. Things such as what payment types to avoid, what should be on my contract/invoice, avoiding damage claims or hassles, etc. anything you experienced haulers think is important to a rookie please feel free to ad. Also please no replies saying “dont get into the business”. Thanks in advance for everyones time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Mount Union, PA
    Check the ratings and stay away from brokers with a rating below 99% if the rating is based on payment issues. Look at why a company has a low rating. Past practice will normally indicate future results. I had a terrible time with "New World Auto Transports located in Katy, Tx." I had to file a claim against their bonding company to get paid. It was probably 3 months before we got paid.

Read, understand, and follow the guidelines on CD as it relates to filing a negative rating against a broker. I believe the guidelines are written to benefit the brokers and not the transporters.

Find several brokers that normally post loads in your area and stick with them if they can keep your trailer full. Much better working thru ones you know.

I like the ACH and COD payments best. ACH normally has a 3 to 5% fee, but no hassle and quick to get the money.

Company checks can lead to issues. I had one that indicated "Payment within 15 business days." I didn't notice the "Business days" until as after the check hadn't been received after 3 calendar weeks. The transport and invoicing occurred just before Thanksgiving. As it turned out, the broker did issue the check on the 14th business day after receiving the signed BOL and invoice. Just be mindful to read and understand how a broker plans to pay via company check.

Go luck, tks PK

4. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Another you MAY want to consider is getting in with a dispatching company. Yes, they’ll take a piece of your pie, but until you know what to do and what not to do, they could save you some learning curve grief.

As far as getting into or not into the business. I say get in, but for Christ’s sake don’t haul cheap freight. Every time someone accepts a cheap car or load it hurts EVERYONE.

GOOD LUCK!

5. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    • definitely stay away from bad rating brokers on CD. i wouldnt say 99% or higher like USMC, i go with low 90's and higher. youll start to see really good prices coming from people with low ratings. this is because nobody is calling them because they dont pay! sometimes ill call them and tell them that ill only take it if they cash app me the money on pickup just to mess with them. they always say no.
    • call every auction before the pickup. otherwise you will get there and there will be no gate pass / money owed that someone must clear before pickup. it delays your whole process. its also good to call delivery place.
    • most ports are absolutely terrible. you will be waiting on line for hours and sometimes they close early to catch up on work. ESPECIALLY newark port.
    • mark damage on pickup of cars. we had to paid for scartches / dent to the hood of a X5 because my driver was rushing and didnt mark damage.
    • some brokers have a choice of how they pay you. the 1st choice is instant but you get charged 6%. 2nd option is wait 30 days for check / ach. 6% adds up very quickly so dont get stuck in the trap. in the beginning you may have no choice, but as soon as you can switch away from that anchor.
    • COD may mean cashapp on delivery if you deal with the lower tier brokers (you may have no choice but to deal with them in the beginning).
    lastly hopefully you have a partner / significant other / family member / dispatcher helping with making all the phone calls and paperwork so you can focus on driving. time is money.

6. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    You just got a bunch of great advice!

Whseddon Thanks this.
  7. Whseddon

Whseddon Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Thanks for all the good advice and your time. I have definitely learned some things and now have some research to do. Best of luck to all of you as well.

8. Whseddon

Whseddon Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2017
    I agree.

9. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    One more thing regarding CD ratings. This is my viewpoint only of course. If whomever is posting a load has a rating of less than 99%, I want to know why. Review their received ratings and find out what are they being dinged on. If it’s for non-payment and their rating is just under that mark Im going to ask them what happened. You may say they’re just going to lie about why and you’ll eventually be able to see through their BS, but if someone damaged a unit and they got ticked off because their payment is being held up, that negative rating may be unjustified and I’ll run their load.

IF they have 2 or more non-payments in the last 30 days...Im running backwards UNLESS it’s a COD CASH.

Just something to keep in mind.

Oh, and any small brokerage outfit with a rating under 96% I personally will not touch their loads unless it’s a cash deal.

Whseddon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.