Just graduated, now straight to team mode. What is the best way for us to maximize our HOS?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KeepitMovin47, Nov 15, 2017.

1. KeepitMovin47

KeepitMovin47 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Since I've relied on you guys from the beginning, I continue to ask for your experiences. What is the best way to run our clock?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are a team? You need to build stamina first. 65 hours LA to Jersey within your 70 and then back to LA in another 70 (Total hours in a week is 168. Two drivers = 140 hours max service) Then you will sit a short time.

Todays logs with the sleeper break, reset and so on is going to slow you two down a little bit.

When you hire on to a employer make sure it's drop hook much of the time. Docks totally destroy your hours. Shippers and recievers do not give a figgy dam for you and your co drivers HOS problems. They will laugh at you both, then kick you two off the property when you bleat about being maxed on 14 hours for the day and must stop to go sleep for 10.

One day there will be a day of atonement against those dam shippers and recievers who dare to trample on the professional driver and his time.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  4. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    When one sleeps the other drives. That covers 22 of the 24 hours of the clock.

5. eat cheap, cheap cheap drink plenty of water. learn to sleep while truck moves as well as during noise.
    learn to fall asleep when head hits pillow.

take your time,. practice, practice backing your truck. ask questions.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Find a different company that doesn't call training "team driving"

x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    talk with experienced team drivers opps ok thats what your doing in here right ha ha anyway i meant talk with someone personally/verbally and just get some thoughts from them its amazing what you can learn from experienced drivers. also call up some of the bigger trucking organizations that make the rules and laws and see what they have to say as far as you using the 11/14 rule and how that applies to team cause i thought it would allow each of you to still drive for 11 hours each which would be 22 hrs per day. this means you'll be getting to your destination point twice as fast as a solo driver.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It's hard to run out of hours as a team, but it is possible. I like to (when I was driving) run my 11, with the same starting times then turn it over to my co-pilot for his/her time behind the wheel. However, I actually liked driving 10 then co-pilot 10 then park for 4 hrs to get some solid sleep. The truck is still doing 1200 mi/daily which is 7200 mi in 6 days. Which is 30k a month. It's actually nice to shut down a day weekly or every two weeks. The driver on line 3 fuels and does the drop/hook etc. It all works out in the end. You don't need to beat yourself up because you're driving team, right ? Have fun

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Erm... careful there. I rather adjust that line to trainer sleeps while trainee drives only by day.

Wife and I forged a full reefer team in three weeks flat and FFE had her into the rockies on ice on her first winter. I started growing less brown hair and much more grey watching over her like a hawk through the driving she did.

God only knows wifes don't listen to husbands. But in that tractor, in the office so to speak thank god she listened to me. Most of the time.

10. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    I don't adjust the truth.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hear you man, I dont have a problem with that really. I just tend to be a little moderate. Which is kind of... a stretch considering the troubles I get into with my big mouth.

ladr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.