Just had surgery .... is my trucking career over?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Moneyhungrytrucker, Nov 25, 2020.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not really.

They are, but HIPPA, only applies to medical professionals and billing (insurance companies) It doesn't apply to most cases people think it does. Then there is the fact fact that there is a grey area that FMCSA specifically allows the company to see the medical long form.

You might want to be the one to review HIPPA laws. I have, and even taken classes in them as I use to install and service computers in hospitals and doctor offices.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Okay, done.

110B38E1-7128-4A50-A2F5-CEE751EE22FB.jpeg

The medical long form only has what you volunteer to tell them, notwithstanding the stuff the DOT examiner measures or observes.

alds Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Good, because you are still wrong, and postinga random wrong quote doesn't make you correct.

There are other state privacy laws that may or may not apply to employment, but not HIPPA

5. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Well, okay.

Quick story. I listed my inguinal hernia mesh surgery on my DOT long form at school. At Cypress orientation, I also listed it on their questionnaire and DOT long form.

After they sent me home for it the morning of day 2, I decided to lie like a rug with Melton. I didn’t admit to jack squat, not to the 12 year old hernia surgery, not the 10 year old hip resurfacing, not the time when a chiropractor adjusted my neck and messed me up for a week. I was a 57 year old perfect specimen who only had wisdom teeth removed.

I was one of six people invited to orientation during the early times of the COVID freak out. A week prior to flying up, they disinvited me, not because of anything medical, but because that one day at Cypress popped up as a termination, and I didn’t put it on the application (they told me I wouldn’t be considered an employee after just one day).

I’m not trying to be a jerk, but if my medical records are so easily accessed—and they had about two months to review it—why did I get a slot at training?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Because of those other privacy laws that I mentioned is why your work didn't see previous medical information. HIPPA is an important piece if privacy legislation, but it not the only privacy law for the medical field.

7. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    146593BD-9327-40E5-AF0F-FD3E74602CD7.png AB4BCC27-FBE1-467A-A130-5E5C172C670E.png
    I’m just looking at a random NIH.gov web page, and it’s still not clear to me. Are you saying trucking companies are “covered entities”? Even if so, covered entities have to get your written permission in plain language to access your health information, according to this .gov website. I reviewed everything I signed during my application process and nowhere did I give permission.

Oh well, doesn’t matter anymore. Water under the bring.

8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Don't you think this question would be best answered by a doctor certified to do DOT medical examinations?

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hey..... don't be MEAN to hippopotamuses!!:biggrin_25523:

10. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Continue your physical therapy and stay positive. You will be fine.

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Probably the safest driver they ever had

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.