Just hit pole at shipper. What now

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xzay, Dec 8, 2016.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'll tell you how it is around my place. You screw up once, everybody makes mistakes and we let it slide. You screw up twice in say 6 months, your are getting awfully close to the chopping block.

With the thin profit margins, we can't afford to be fixing tires and wheels, customer's property, and paying tow bills when it is a preventable accident. I hate to fire somebody more than anything but if you're costing me more than you're making, something has to give. That's just the cold hard truth.

Big Don, MJ1657, Xzay and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Had a young driver that took a job at CREngland. He rolled a truck, got fired, blackballed..etc. Woke him up. He had to take a job that he didn't want and tough it out. Wow, what a difference! Turned completely around, went from just another England screwup to bringing that A Game to every game. He's the go-to-guy at his company, the problem solver. Solid dependable driver. Made an excellent name for himself. Ask any of the drivers in the flatbed forum and they will unanimously endorse him as an A Game driver and an excellent person. A young Man too.

I'm not looking at today, I am looking at tomorrow. I'm not worried about a Swift job. That's sooooo short sighted. I want Mr @Xzay to wake up. Whether he stays at Swift or whether they can him, isn't really important in the grand scheme of things. Chinatown is right...there are plenty of other places that will hire him, but without that A Game, he will just continually repeat mistakes.

Round TWO. Time to rumble.

Chewy352, spyder7723, AM14 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Wrong Way 1020

Wrong Way 1020 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I'm all serisnos you will get wrote up drug tested and chews out and set in the corner with a dunce hat on. You being a new driver you may have to train some more. We have all screws up I've been out hear for 22 years I've had my bumps along the way and what I've learn is that $&@@@ happens take your Medican and you will be fine.

5. Rowdy1

Rowdy1 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2016
    This must be that guy who's never done anything stupid his whole life. But somehow he still ended up in a remedial job. How did this happen driver. Your post stinks man

6. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Best post I've read in who knows how long. Well said.

As for XZAY. You got some real good advice so far from some real professionals. Learn and move on. Glad to hear you own up to your mistakes. Its refreshing this day and age. I'm new too, only been driving for a year. Although I haven't hit anything, I'd be a straight up lying fool if I said I haven't had some close calls. Learn and move on.

We had a new guy in the Schneider forum a while back who was terminated for having 2 accidents in the same 10 minutes at an OC. Pretty sure it was his first week. He admitted that he was so worked up about hitting a trailer, that he fixated on that so much and then wound up hitting a parked truck minutes later. Like it's been said, learn and move on. There will be thousands more poles to navigate around. Don't let this last one own you and your thought process. There arent too many more distracting things than being in fear of losing a job. You don't need distractions. So for now, just drive the truck and whatever Swift decides to do is what it is. Best of luck.

Big Don, spyder7723, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How does one BEND a rim "simply bumping" a curb?

You got to be either hitting that curb hard or have a tin foil rim.

I worked in a harsh environment a few times in my career with huge rocks in the road and a crappy roads with deep ruts hitting some really nasty pot holes, I never bent a rim. To be exact I have a lot of miles under my belt, I have never ever bent a rim even in a car hitting pot holes.

It happens but to bend a trailer rim by bumping a curb shows some negligence on the driver's part.

Dumdriver, spyder7723 and TripleSix Thank this.
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Just picked up a drop and hook with over 40K of cargo and the tire pressure was low.

Big Don Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    How do you know he ended up in a remedial job? While driving for some big box carrier might be considered a crap job, there are plenty of very good paying driving jobs that would be considered top tier.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Fascinating. Whenever anyone tells you that they can't make any money, or they're constantly having problems, or bad luck after bad luck after bad luck and want to blame "the industry" for their failure, all you have to do is wait just a short while and the person will tell you why they keep screwing up.

Mr @Ridgeline will see your response and talk about how you 1. Knew the tire pressure was low and you 2. hit a curb.

"But Six, I didn't get fired because my company didn't know."

Irrelevant. Your being shortsighted prevents you from ever advancing. Mr @Xzay will surpass you.

Chewy352 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Show me where I ever said any of the above.

LOL. But you're not going to say any of that right? Wasn't there a discussion earlier about "manning up".

You know nothing about the present, but apparently can see into the future.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.