Just Milking It!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by 1badtruckdriver2c, Oct 6, 2020.

1. 1badtruckdriver2c

1badtruckdriver2c Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Starting training next week and I am reluctant to use names yet.
    But would love to hear from the dairy drivers out there about their gigs, and what are IMPORTANT things to keep in mind while hauling dairy, dairy waste, and dairy byproducts.
    Finally getting to REALLY use my skills and LEARN A WHOLE LOT MORE!

I start next week and will keep updating my progress for anyone new.
    A special thanks to @Chinatown for the lead. You are the MIYAGI of this site.

132.jpg

Cattleman84, scythe08 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    81Aehp9oTvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You should invest in one of these for those times you are in a dairy loading rack, can't idle and have to keep the windows down so you don't pass out from heat exhaustion.

I picked up a hitchhiking fly at a dairy in Kentucky once. I hauled that in my cab from KY to MS, all the way up to Toronto, Canada, then back across the border to California.

4. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Best thing to remember when hauling dairy is......patience, patience, patience. You will be sitting....A lot!!!!

Also, a little spanish will help.

But all in all dairy loads are not a big deal. If you have hauled smoothbore tankers before milk is not different. It is also fun to see the livestock and the baby calves. There is one dairy we haul out of regularly where the calving barn is right beside where we load. Very neat watching those cows drop new born calves! Yes, you will get deadly with a fly swatter! LOL!

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  5. 1badtruckdriver2c

Mar 28, 2020
    I hate flies, the BUG, me!

AE3F6F5A-CDC3-44DF-B1E2-1FE919BCA92B.jpeg

truckguy391 Thanks this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Do they still call the milking area a Parlor? I hope you like mud.

7. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Nothing to know other than take it slow. High moving center of gravity. Until you get used to it do well under the posted recommended speed around corners. Unless you are in an automatic you will learn to shift with the surge of the smooth bore tanker. Any hard stops, leave yourself an extra car length or two for the surge pushing you forward ... and for the geyser of milk if you blow the lid off.

Fly tape, and do not wear your boots into the sleeper. Definitely keep food and entertainment in the truck, hurry up and wait is the name of the game.

8. 1badtruckdriver2c

Mar 28, 2020
    Hurry up and wait, God that sounds so familiar. Where have I heard that? Oh yeah, the Navy. LOL
    Great thing about this gig, paid hourly.

9. 1badtruckdriver2c

Mar 28, 2020
    Well, I'm getting ready to start my drive to Texas.

I'm leaving Az and trying to figure which route to take. I have 15 hours so I am breaking it up in 2 day journey to my destination.

I'm leaving Overgaard Az and trying to figure the funniest most scenic route.

I head to College Station.

Anyone have any idea which is the nicest drive. Not in a rush. So throw out your sugguestions.

399D20EB-3542-4E0C-BB2C-4423073F3518.jpeg

10. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    I used to haul ecolab products to dairy plants and I must say they all could of used one of those travel neck pillows, cause when they weren’t washing their truck they were sleeping

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    This is definitely the scenic route, so enjoy the show out your windshield.

Take 60 and 380 through NM to Brownfield, TX.

Take 87 from Brownfield to Llano.

Take 71 from Llano to Bastrop (try to avoid Austin rush hour traffic if at all possible).

Take 21 from Bastrop to BCS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.