Just out of curiosity do you use linux on laptop/desktop

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Luse, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    I have been using linux on my laptop/desktop for over 10 years. Distro of choice now is Elementary OS...but I tend to distro hop every 6 months or so....

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I have an owie

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  4. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I suggest you always double clutch until you're a million miler.. then you can float em

5. IMG_20180711_222436.jpg Not many talk about Linux, I still have floppy discs with linux distros on them.

skellr, NightWind and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I've been kicking the idea around. I'd need something that could simulate a Windows environment for Windows programs/ apps. Too much work related stuff that works with windows or mac exclusively.

7. Look at ubuntu it has good cross over for windows programs and windows style look and feel

dsanchez and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    I run Linux on several machines, my main laptop is DeepinLinux distro; it looks basically like the Macintosh OS-X.

9. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    There is wine and play on linux for running windows programs. It's not full proof. But it does work with morjorty of the programs.

Also you can run windows or mac in a virtual machine, and run it that way. But if its graphically demanding that might not be an option.

dsanchez and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  10. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I honest like deepin, if I was not running elmentry OS I would run that. But looking to switch to a KDE environment I'm wanting to get away from gnome for a while might go with Manjaro..

11. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    My nice Republic of Gamers Laptop remains on Windows 10 for Steam or Amazon Videos and Netflix in HD.

I have a Desktop PC that is running now on Sparky Linux based on Debian.

I'm currently a Yard Truck guy, but considering going back on the road. I might look into replacing my old Desktop with a Chrome Book and then replacing the ChromeOS with something else. Maybe try Sabayon.

I like using Linux for any kind of casual use of the Web so that my nice Gaming Laptop doesn't bump into sites that might have viruses. Linux is also handy for fast access to Free Open Source Software.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.