just someone looking for friends

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Brucely, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    hey, i'm just thinking about getting into trucking. joined this forum to lurk and see what's up. Maybe post a ramble or two here and there. :)

x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Well hey how’s it going! Trucking isn’t bad all in all I guess, just depends on you as an individual. I’ve been doing it a few years and done a couple different types here and there and for the most part it’s afforded me a comfortable living.
    I’m gone more than I’d like to be with 3 young kids, but bills gotta be paid and mouths fed. This site is really cool, lurked a long time before joining. Most everyone I’ve seen so far is friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge if you’re willing to use the search function. I’ve even written a member out of the blue and they were very helpful, didn’t know me from Adam and were still willing to talk. It’s where I spend majority of my web browsing time.

4. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Welcome to the forum.

5. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    Wow I wasnt expecting many or any replies!

Thanks so much for the detailed welcomes! I think I really might enjoy being here. Don't know why I assumed people would be rude lol... I guess it's just the stereotypes I had ingrained about people who drive trucks. I'm really sorry about that. But I guess I also wanted to be honest.

6. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Hello Brucely

Trucking can be an adventure, and do research of companies before making a leap.

Rollr4872 and tech10171968 Thank this.
  7. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    What he said.

Also, keep in mind that trucking is not just a job; it is actually a complete lifestyle change. A lot of cats get into the job without knowing this and it eats them up - especially if they're married and/or have kids. That might be a big reason why you see so much turnover in the industry; most new drivers don't last much past the 6-month mark before they hang up their keys for good.

Not trying to scare you, not at all. There's plenty of people who make it work for them; just take a look around this forum, for example. But, just like Triple Digit says, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! Then maybe you won't wind up being one of those 6-Month Wonders.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Trucking is fun ! Maybe not always, but It's not a bad job. Home time could be better. I was just getting ready to for taxe time and I was O/O. I'm back to company driver and made $59,700 last year driving their truck. That's more money then I did when I had my own truck and I'm driving a brand new truck.

It has its good and bad just like any job

Rollr4872 and Puppage Thank this.
  9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Welcome aboard. You'll love it here.

10. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    This is why many people do this career for a lifetime. I will give you this advice as a new driver. It is not a career in the first year that will yield thousands of dollars, and in a lifetime you will never get rich doing it.The first year you will be paid for the miles you run, but at a decreased rate per mile. This is due to usually being teamed with another student, or trainer for 2-5 weeks of OTR training. You will also be required to take loads to places you may not be comfortable going. When i first started in 1990. I worried amd hated the Northeast mainly (New York). I had been there with my father, whom drove for 45 years.

If you can handle, and get through the first year, and do not quit. Remember this, if this is truly what you want to do. I knew what i was going to do from the time i was knee high to a grasshopper. I have gotten paid, to travel the states, and see thing's i would possibly never had an opportunity to do so in another career. There are beautiful places, vast open plains, deserts, and the majestic Rockies, Tetons, and other mountain ranges and sights to behold in the best country in the world.

This can be a lonely career if you are married, or have a gf that does not travel with you. My wife rode with me for 20 years Passenger, not driver). We got to see things, and we laid over in many places where we took time to venture to some attractions (Kennedy Space Center, Fl, USS Alabama Battleship, Disney World, Orlando, and many other places.
    I love this job, and could not see myself doing anything else as a career, though i also run a large cattle ranch also.

If you do venture to become a trucker. If you truly enjoy the career, it becomes contagious, and gets in your blood. It will take a little time to know if this career is for you or not.

11. Brucely

Feb 19, 2018
    Thank you for your detailed personal take on this!

Why do people do it for a lifetime, I'm wondering? I figure that if the pay is so great (because truck drivers are in demand), then why don't people retire after they save up a sizable amount?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.