Just starting out

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nicolas James, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Nicolas James

Nicolas James Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2008
    columbus ohio
    About two weeks ago i graduated from roadmaster driving school and was looking at tmc to driver i was all ready to go and all i had to do was get my bus ticket and get on the bus. Then i found this forum and seen everything bad about tmc so i quickly changed my mind about that place. Right now i am having a hard time tring to find a company i want to go with . I live in central ohio and i have no clue to which company to go with. Anyone with any ideas let me know i would like to be home as much as i can, i do realize i may not have a choice in the matter but i can always try.

Nick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cat 500

cat 500 <strong>"Kitty Cat"</strong>

Oct 24, 2007
    florida
    Hi Nick, I can't really tell you which companies you should check out, but I can tell you that you are definately in the right place to research it. Lots of people here with alot of knowledge. Good Luck to you.

4. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Nick, i am a newbie just like you, except you have your CDL, and are that much closer to being on the road that i am. EVERY company you go to, will have SOMEONE on here saying 'they suck' or this or that was bad. Schneider dont sound bad, not many things can be said bad about that place. Think I might be correct on this, but you will hear many people say, 'do your research, go with YOUR gut, and whoever you go with just put your head down, put in 12-18-24 months, then go somewhere where the pay is better. Heck, might get a newer truck....that is my plan. Dont really care about how 'new' a truck i get assigned, I just want to put in somewhere where the pay is $.35-40/mile, get on my own, where i'll make $1.50-$2/mile. but that is 5-8 yrs down the road.

5. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    From what I heard TMC is picky and can be because they pay very good
    One of our posters notarps4me seem to be doing good with maverick
    You might want to research them
    If flatbed is your game that is

6. mandiesel

mandiesel Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2007
    texas
    If you'll go by everyone's opinion on here about different companies you'll be severely confused within a short amount of time,most people on here just tend to blow off some steam about their job,it's just human nature.
    But there is also an invaluable amount of info on here about trucking.

I personally would like to go with TMC if I had a chance,still working on getting my CDL.
    I did hear they were strict,but they do have nice equipment and pay is good for a rookie driver also heard no inverters allowed in their trucks.

My 2 cents.

7. Nicolas James

Nicolas James Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2008
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions and i think for now I'm going to go with maverick. I really think they are the best company for me and my family for the next couple years. But i will keep tmc my list and see where they are in about three years and see if the problems they have broke them or made them better.

Nick

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    You should get home good. I del and load to several places there a lot.

9. rocksteady

rocksteady Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Canton, Mi.
    I have been driving for 10 years now, I can tell you not to go with Swift, USA Truck, CRST, A.D. Transport and most certainly do not go with Central Transport. I worked at these places and could not make any miles. As for hometime they all kind of vary. Central Transport is the worst of all. I did linehaul for 3 years for them and I question my self how did I do it. I have a buddy at TMC who has been there for 3 years and makes good money and good hometime. He has nothing but good things to say about TMC. Some people are very neg. and they like to slander companies because they feel like it. These people go into situations knowing whats going to happen and neg. all the way through it. I am starting at TMC on the 14th of this month as experienced. I hope it works out for me. Try to look at the positives and make a decision off of that. Good Luck to you.

10. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    I agree about TMC. I know they run hard but most drivers are happy to work there. But don't let me interfere...go ahead and work for a guaranteed loser.

11. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Exactly how is Maverick a "guaranteed loser"?

There's truly no such thing as a "guaranteed loser". Shoot, there's people who have had success with some of the companies considered more bad than good by many on this forum.

Case in point, I had a FANTASTIC two year stint with PAM Transport. But what was great for me hasn't been great for others. Likewise, what is/was bad for others could be great for some.

firstcav, Ducks and cat 500 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.