Just wondering

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Rookie7497, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Rookie7497

Rookie7497 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm obviously a new driver and I have read a lot of the stuff y'all say about the different companys. But I have been talking to a lot of drivers and they seem to be 50/50 on whether or not to go as company driver or lease with a company. I would like to ask for some advice.:biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Lease deals are worth running from in my opinion. You are taking a big gamble with that roll and the dice are loaded.:biggrin_2556:

4. Rookie7497

Rookie7497 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2007
  5. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    when you lease, you become an o/o...........of sorts.

to be a "true owner-operator", you would/should buy your own truck, and even at times, buy your own trailer.

you would then probably lease on with a carrier, or go it alone by hiring a Broker who will find you loads and take a fee. you could even try to find a company that needs a truck/trailer/driver, and make them an offer to haul thier freight, but, you would need "back-haul" freight as well or you'll go broke.

those lease-purchase plans/deals, whatever the company's call them, are money makers for the people making you sign on the dotted line, not you....

if you fail, they simply find some schmuck to take over the lease deal, and start all over again...............

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

I have to disagree with pro. Leasing is like renting a truck you will never own. You will pay for it like you own it, but then most of them will let you survive a little while before they send you belly up. O/O would be the only way to consider after you have been a company driver for a few years to learn the ropes.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    If you lease a truck, and everything goes just right, you might make a "little" more money than most company drivers. Basically, the only advantage that you have with a lease purchase is "non-forced" dispatch, which really isn't that great of a thing anyway. It definitely doesn't outweigh the increased headaches you are going to take on.

Buying your own truck is the only way to be a true owner operator, and you need to do plenty of research before you take on the responsibility of owning your own business. Since you say you are a new driver, you should also get a year or two driving experience under your belt before you do this, this way you learn your job better and it also gives you time to research the responsibilities of being an owner-operator.

8. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Don't do the lease operator thing. As has been said, when one has the freedom to choose his loads, his life isn't made easier. This is because a driver in that situation will find himself sitting a lot more. And when the wheels have grass growing up around them.......

If you want to be an owner op, go buy your own (gently used) rig and head out. Don't to the lease-purchase scam.

9. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Spend some time browssing here, and over in the O/O section you will find a couple of active threads that list some of the prep you should do before becoming an O/O. If you are a new driver, then you probably need to spend some time preparing and learning before taking the plunge into ownership of a truck. It's a major business decision, not one to be taken lightly.

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Think about it for a second. These companies that push the FLEASE purchase program so hard, are they pushing it because its good for the driver, or is it good for the company???????????????????????

11. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Get your feet wet,drive a co.truck for a couple of yrs.and learn the ins and outs of trucking.while you are doing this save some money.If you then want to go on your own,(be an owner)go to a reputible dealer and purchase a good truck.Please stay away from the lease purchase programs,cause you will be at the mercy of the leasing co.Before you buy a truck make arrangements to lease it on with a good co.Now you will truly be an O/O.You can make good money doing it this way,but you also take on a lot of responsibility.You will have to pay your Fed.and state taxes quartely,also pay your own workers comp.Take care of your own maint.Service,breakdowns ,tires,etc.Guaranteed when you get home for a few days part of that time is gonna be spent making sure your truck is ready to roll for the next trip.Expenses that come up-and these figures are from 10 yrs.ago when I owned my own truck.A set of steer tires,approx.$600.Set of drive tires,approx.$2300.Lube,filters,grease,etc.$150. to $200.Yearly truck tax was around $600.In the late 90s I was running about $25,000.worth of fuel thru it a yr.and believe me there are many other costs involved.Course back then fuel was less than $1. a gal.You will be running a small business,and you will be one busy camper to keep it afloat.If you want to go that way,and take on the extra work,GOOD LUCK TO YA.If you lease on with a co.make sure they will pay for things such as tolls,scales,truck license,etc.Truck license alone is a very large cost.When I bought my first truck,I had it apportioned in 5 states,and the plate was $1700.Remember these figure here were 10 to 12 yrs.ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.