Justice or business

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Thechilean, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Thechilean

Thechilean Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2019
    I recently passed an inspection and the officer put three violations 1 lack of reflectors in mud guard of tractor 2 about passing the speed of 1-5 miles and 3non English. Regarding the speed, I explained that I was carrying more than 40 thousand pounds and that my watch marked 68 miles in the 65 zone and that I wanted to only occupy my motor brake since the descent was small and had quite a distance with the other vehicles. He said ok I also put the violation. In the case of English, this seems to me a unique deception, I tell him that my English is not very good but enough that I can answer all his questions and he says to me, don't worry, we can do it in Spanish. I said great then I explain everything with details and so he put the three violations without any encouragement to apply justice or teach something of prevention on his part, apparently the officer was only interested in giving profits to the FMCSR business. I felt cheated by an officer with whom I share a mother tongue desepired from the lack of judgment

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Trying to pass someone in a heavy truck at 68 when he or she is doing 65 or slightly faster will occupy 10 miles of traffic problems and growing risks. Its not worth it.

The two violations are routine.

The third regarding language you are better off to save it. Because as long you can identify American traffic signs in English, controls in color and intent, meaning etc. you are minimally able to run our roads with a basic English.

There is absolutely no Profit to FMCSA. There is not a business to FMCSA. They are a Federally Title 10 regulatory agency charged with making sure YOU, me and all other truckers and trucking companies complies with laws therein duly passed by Congress and codified into a variety of statues all the way down to the local town government level.

If you make a habit of taking on DOT you will find yourself essentially written out of the industry when you continue to accumulate violations that reflect against you and your company on PSP and CSA not to mention fines and exposing your company to a possible audit.

The very best truckers are ghosts they do their work without noise, without drama, without tickets and particularly without antagonizing a DOT man who certainly has the power to decide what to do with you about it.

Im sorry you have these troubles at the scale house. It's best to keep mouth shut take the first two tickets, yessir no sirr ba ba three bags full and a work order for a shop to remedy and fix those violations.

There is no fixing possible when many languages are introduced into the problem. It is not welcome or needed.

Dino soar and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    U gave him to much information .

The answer is yes sir no sir.

"Why are u speeding driver?"

"Well i sure as heck didnt mean to officer, my speedometer must be off by a couple digits , i had her sittin right at 65"

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Don't volunteer so much information next time, tell him you were doing your best to keep it at the speed limit. Keep using English even if he can speak Spanish, and keep improving your grasp of it so you hopefully don't have any issues like this the next time. The mudflap reflector thing is just one of those stupid little things that nobody is really sure why it's even a law but they like to nail people for it sometimes.

6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    A few months ago we had a large order of haz loads out of monaca pa. At state line entering ohio, the puco was there about everyday. Of course we got acquainted. Decent enough guy( but remember he is not your friend). Anyway, he informed me that my reflective strips on the back of my bunk-trk are technically not far enough to the sides of the truck. No citation, but could be. Start out on the wrong foot with some, and no telling what citations you will end up with. Good already mentioned) advice, don't say more than is needed. Try to put on your happy face..even if its a bad day.

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I too have been tricked in the past. Got to watch out for the friendly, helpful officers, unfortunately. They usually start out asking, “ Do you know why I pulled you over?” Often it’s to cover up the fact that they pulled you over for no reason. Then they start fishing.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Of course I know #### well why ... he has to articulate it.

I'll defend my box of doughnuts to the last dollar in my wallet.... /sarcasm

NavigatorWife and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The reflective tape across the mudflaps is a gimme....so many trucks don't have it.

Trucks just off the used dealer lot, with new annual inspections often don't have it!

Easy peasy and the more stuff he writes, the better he looks to his boss. that's why you see the chicken-crap stuff like 'chaffed air lines'..

OP, I would Data Q the language violation. I recall that sufficient command of the language to read road signs and understand the commands/questions of law enforcement is required; you did understand his english commands. and him offering to speak spanish reeks of entrapment....

While theData Q eventually gets to the officer; it goes through his supervisors first so there is a good chance they might want him to remove it...Your over all record would look much better without this should some future ambulance chasing lawyer start digging for dirt on you.

10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    So true, must be a standard ? they are taught to ask. I taught myself to look blank and say no..why? Lol.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Last cop that tried to get me for speeding.

I said NOOOOOO. My gps said 65. And it did. He gave me a CSA warning.

I knew the sign was coming so I had my jake slow me down. And there's usually a cop there.

Don't think I'd want to mention the watch trick. Might confuse the cop.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.