Kansas City, Kansas native, interested in trucking!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SwimJigJake, May 21, 2018.

1. SwimJigJake

SwimJigJake Bobtail Member

May 21, 2018
    Hey there, TR people! As the title of the thread states, I'm interested in getting into the trucking industry, but with a little lurking here and there, and lots of googling, I still almost have no where to turn, It's a little overwhelming honestly, I'm not sure where to start, so I figured I'd sign up here and see if I couldn't get some answers or have anyone point me in the right direction.
    I have zero experience in trucking whatsoever, unless you wanna count me towing my 18ft fiberglass bass boat to and from various lakes around the area! I know nothing of how they work, operate, I've never driven manual, etc. I'm 23 years old, so I figured I'm in my prime time to learn! I've seen several schooling options around here, APEX CDL for example, but I feel I'd be a little more comfortable starting on with a company that does paid CDL training. What are the steps, what do you guys recommend for someone wanting to get into trucking? Does anyone know of any trucking companies in the area that provide CDL training?

Thanks,
    -Jacob.

Coffey Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    A big truck manual and a car manual are two very different things, so that won't be a problem.

Paid CDL training comes with a catch, you usually have to stay a year to pay it off. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of. Look up some of the big companies and look at their hiring areas and give them a call. Bigger companies are usually the only ones that offer paid CDL training.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I looked at the APEX website and it's a 4 week school which is 160 hrs. That's what most trucking companies want. There's a company right there in Kansas City that hires new cdl graduates; Butler Transport. Call and ask if they hire from APEX, which they probably do.
    Their website has a page dedicated to new cdl school graduates.
    www.butlertransport.com
    RECENT GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS
    • Class A CDL
    • 21 years of age
    • No at fault accidents in the last 3 years
    • Edit : on their website, click on "Driver Portal" for information on the transmissions they use in their trucks at Butler Transport. There's 3 films on there explaining the transmissions. All this will be taught during orientation with the trucking company

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Whatever you do; school or trucking company, etc.......you have to
    have enough training to where you feel comfortable driving a truck by
    yourself. Don't go out until you are ready......no one else can make that
    decision for you.

Company I work for has a bad habit of not really training the new
    drivers. A little over a year ago a driver shows up.....he had some
    experience but he didn't really feel comfortable.......he insisted the
    company do more training before he went out. He spent an extra
    two weeks in training....... he has turned out to be one of the better
    drivers we have. That extra training gave him the extra help he needed.

Trucks can be a little intimidating at first. But with adequate training
    and plenty of time actually behind the wheel......success can be yours.
    Good Luck.

6. Twin Screws

Twin Screws Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Your problem with asking a trucking company to pay for your training is the fact that you are stuck working for them....under their schedule and for whatever pay they think is appropriate.

Going to a private school gives you the flexibility to go to work for whatever company you choose.

I looked at Apex Institutes website and they are a 180 hour program, which will meet every companies hours of training requirements.

Their job placement page lists companies like Coca Cola and Sysco, those are great paying home every day jobs. You'll never get that with a trucking company paying your way.

Truck Driver Job Placement Services | Apex CDL Kansas City

7. Twin Screws

Twin Screws Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Butler is a horrible company with a reputation to match.

8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Not knowing how to drive a manual is a good thing. You won't have any bad habits to break.

That said, DO train and DO test with a manual. Otherwise, you'll have the dreaded "automatic" restriction on your license. Which means you'll have to test again if you want to drive a manual later in your career.

And, I concur with the folks above about paying for your training out of pocket, if you can. Opens up more doors and doesn't lock you into working for a company for a year. Although, a year is the time most recommend to stay at your first trucking job. That clean first year at one carrier will also open a lot more doors.

9. some other trucker

some other trucker Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Truck Driver Student

School in the morning and work the dock afternoons/evenings (starting $15.69/hr) is the likely schedule you’d be looking at.

Driving doubles from center to center and working the dock at the break bulks (overnight) is what you would do after getting the license. Starting hourly as driver looks like $21.30/hr from another driver job posting for that location.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Well hopefully you've come to the right place to get good advice, plenty of experienced drivers in here willing to "steer " you in the right direction the key with driving a long vehicle i mean the trailer itself is 53' long unless your doing tanker or flat bed which are a little shorter plus the length of the tractor so one must always be vigilant when going around tight corners and bends as you could take out a post a set of traffic lights or even a pedestrian. Gear changing that''ll take some getting used to if you've driven a synco, a road ranger is completely different unlike a syncro gear box where you simply push the clutch to the floor and the gear just goes straight in, with a road ranger you must only slightly push the clutch in and also match the gears with the right revs otherwise it won't go in, and its no use forcing it as this will do tremendous damage to the gear box and hence the reason why so many carriers are changing to auto shifts. With the right teacher and training i'm sure you'll eventually pick it up.

11. STL-Dario

STL-Dario Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Can someone (possibly @Twin Screws) elaborate more on this comment? Honestly, this is the first negative thing I have seen about them and I am highly considering them as my first trucking employer.

What are the concerns so that I can take them into consideration?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.