Kansas City, MO looking for company and school suggestions

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Dugan_nash, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dugan_nash

Dugan_nash Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Missouri
    Hello all, I'm 29 years old and will be sending out applications here soon and am looking for suggestions on where to start. I've done quite a bit of research of starter companies and also some of the schools such as MCCKC's CDL program which would cost around 3500-4000 (which I would have to finance). I'm leaning more towards the training company route but would love to hear people's input.

So far on training companies I have:
    -Prime
    -CFI
    -Jim Palmer
    -Western Dairy Transport
    -Roehl
    -KLLM
    -Knight Transportation

Also as a rookie would it be bad to go straight into tanker/flatbed?

Thanks for any suggestions, appreciate everyone on the forum helping us newbies get started.

Sifu Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, start your career in tanker or flatbed if that is what you prefer.
    Keep in mind, many companies will hire a good applicant right out of cdl school, even though the website may have "experience required", so apply to any company you like.
    Schilli Corporation has a total of 6 tanker companies you can apply to. I think their "quick app" covers all the companies with just one application.
    Private cdl school will give you many choices of companies to choose from such as Melton Truck Lines and Keim TS.

Dugan_nash and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a good example: This company hires new cdl grads, but the ad doesn't state that. Two drivers on this forum have already been offered jobs there at cdl school graduation.
    [​IMG]
    We are looking for Class A CDL Truck Drivers!
    Missouri
    REQUIRED 1 year minimum Regional or OTR experience
    Top Drivers earn $75,000 to $85,000 Paid Training! ($1000 per week with 1 year experience) Paid Training! ($14 per hour for drivers with less than 1 year) *Hazmat is NOT required to start. Liquid Trucking will train the driver and pay for fingerprinting!
    Our Truck Drivers enjoy excellent compensation and benefits packages, including:
    • All hours paid-no sitting for free
    • Take the truck home with you!

Dugan_nash and Dan.S Thank this.
  5. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Dugan_nash Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Kansas City has a set of underground caverns to the south and east if I recall correctly, inside those caverns should be at least three companies involved in some form of Reefer work.

I forget to this day what they are exactly At least one of them was part of the FFE family decades ago.

7. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    you have trans am in olathe that will train you

Dugan_nash Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Private cdl school grads:
    Melton Truck Lines - flatbed
    Keim TS - flatbed
    System Transport - flatbed
    Trimac Transportation - hazmat/tanker
    Old Dominio Freight Lines - dry van/linehaul
    Tyson Foods - refrigerated - Kansas City, MO
    $64,600 a year - Tyson Foods is looking for Class A CDL drivers for its expanding fleet. Thanks to our NEW PAY PACKAGE, Tyson drivers average $64,600 annually.
    [​IMG]

Dugan_nash Thanks this.
  9. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    I liked your first idea Liquid Trucking. Don't know anything about them, though. Why not learn some sort if skill set like tanker right out of school?

I would definitely agree with OD for line haul.

I'm kind of down about pulling a 53' dry box down the road. Wages don't seem to be going anywhere. Especially when a big carrier like Walmart just lowered their starting wage.

And @x1Heavy I think your referring to those caverns in Carthage MO. The big carrier out of there is DD something. Those guys just don't look very happy going down the road in those 63 mph trucks or even making a lot of money.

And @Dugan_nash , where ever you go to school learn to drive a standard shift. You can always go to Automatics anytime.

Dugan_nash, x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Girton Propane Service, Clay Center,Kansas has hired a couple of new cdl grads that posted on here.
    GirtonLLL specializes in the transportation of Ag chemicals, general chemicals and petroleum products. We run all 48 states with emphasis in the Midwest and Plains states. GirtonLLL is dedicated to provide top quality service and customer satisfaction while being safe and reliable.
    [​IMG]

Dugan_nash Thanks this.
  11. Dugan_nash

Dugan_nash Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Missouri
    Thanks a lot for the information all. Gonna add these companies to the list and see about getting schooling done so I don't have to sign a contract.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.