keep logs for how long?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by soon2betrucking, Nov 9, 2009.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    i no about the 7 day rule for logs... but are we required to keep our expired logs, ( yellow copy ) for 7 years? i know iv heard this a lot... but im just trying to clear some things up....so is the 7 year rule true?? or is it the company that has to keep our logs for 7 years?

tia

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    Only the carrier is required to keep your logs for two years.
    If you are the carrier then the resposibility is yours.
    You are only required to have the previous 7 days in your possession.

4. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    thanks sarge, i dont no where the 7 year thing came from... just needed it to be cleared up.... thanks again

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    It might be a good idea to hang onto the old log books if you are claiming the per-diam on your taxes,.....They would be the only way to show a IRS auditor which days you were out and eligible for the per-diam,...

I think,........

soon2betrucking, im6under and Bengal Thank this.
  6. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    I would suggest you keep your copies of the logbook for at least the period of time the IRS can go back and check taxes. I kept mine for 7 years as that's what my accountant suggested. The above post is correct regarding per diem pay.

Bengal Thanks this.
  7. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    The IRS is able to go back as far as they deem necessary if they believe tax fraud has been committed. For this reason if you choose to deduct your per diem (and it's a large sum like most OTR drivers have) then it is best to keep your logs for at least 7 years. It may seem excessive, but with the crooks we have in the government, it's better safe than sorry.

soon2betrucking and Texas-Nana Thank this.
  8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Id keep them too for per-diem and also if you change jobs and they ask for proof from a bankrupt co.

soon2betrucking Thanks this.
  9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Actually keep all of them for 7 years to use for your per diem filings, BUT the IRS can go back as far as they want to and not stop at a seven year limit. Been there done that! Glad I took my fathers advice for once and kept everything!

After seven years you need only keep a representative showing of your filings such as keeping every other month but it's just as easy to get one of those big office storage boxes and file in it til it's full write the dates from and to and then start anew box. After 39 years of filing I haven't quite filled 2 1/2 boxes which stay in the attic. The old small log books are so hard to store! But the loose leaf for a year will fit in a large envelope.

NOW do NOT take anyone's advice on an open forum but check with the IRS yourself! In this day and age CYA is the FIRST rule of survival! With the internet and toll free numbers it's not hard to get GOOD information BUT because of the QUALITY of people who work at the IRS call 3 times and go with the odds! LOL

Bengal and soon2betrucking Thank this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    The other drivers are correct. For tax purposes and sometimes for proof of experience. I still have a copy of every log I ever filled out.
    You never know it may save you on a rainy day.

As for the first quote, that is only the FMCSA regulations regarding logs and record keeping requirements.

11. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    ahhh.... sooo i was kinda correct on this matter...so maybe i was thinking for tax reassons.... i still have all my logs at home... but i was talking to someone and we started talking about how long to keep the logs..( not the 7 day rule ) but long term.. thanks too all for the replys... my question has been answered

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.