Keep or sell 2016 FL Cascadia DD15???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SouthernKomfort, May 31, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I would be careful about saying that. For many of us the instinct is to hold onto the known a d delay change.

With modern trucks, this seems counterproductive, especially trucks that were owned by megas, barely maintained, and then sold with 100k or so left on the factory maintenance warranty.

The OP here bought a truck from an o/o though, and if that o/o maintained the truck well, the OP could get a lot more miles out of it.

My suggestion, if they trust that the prior owner did good maintenance, would be to run it until a major issue comes up, then trade it in.

The electrical issues could be something serious, but it could also be a partially grounded power line to the radio.

So. My plan in that situation?

Run it out of warranty, then keep running it until non-routine maintenance and non-elective upgrade expenses reach 5k in any month, or 20k total in 6 months. It won't take many significant issues to eat up 20k, but most months a truck won't eat 5k (repairs) in one month unless there are real issues.

Does that seem reasonable to anyone else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SouthernKomfort

SouthernKomfort Bobtail Member

May 31, 2020
    :) will do Thank you

4. SouthernKomfort

May 31, 2020
    Makes perfect sense. My original thoughts I had was selling it with the warranty plus all the stuff I have replaced especially the DPF would be a good selling point. But you do make sense too.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Down time doubles the repair cost.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Solid advice. Once you get an older truck up to snuff again your maintenance cost goes way way down

bzinger and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Resale value is part of the calculation. The used truck market is down right now, at least. Buyer's market, not seller's market.

Even with remaining warranty, you will be hard pressed to get 40k for the truck from a buyer. You don't have the resources of a mega to clean up the truck and fix little stuff to make it more attractive. For instance, I got a full set of 'new' recap drives and virgin steers when I bought mine.

Not sure what a dealership will offer as trade, but likely the difference between now and a year from now won't be huge, since the truck is closing in on 400k miles if I remember right.

8. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Boss has me in automatic cascadia. 2016. Coming down 57 in IL. at 67mph. Engine temp at 203 ish. Rpms at 13.8 Slight east to west wind. Loaded to the back door, but only 24k in weight. With the cruise control on. If the display was right. I got 7.4-7.6 mpg for a solid 3 hours. I don't know if it's a dd12. Or 15. But if I ever get that in my truck. Ill never sell.
    Good luck with your decision.

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have talked to a couple drivers with dd12 engines who pull OTR. The basic engine has issues on significant slopes under heavy loads.

Not sure how much power you can get out of a dd12 if you can turn it up at all, but if you do turn it up for more power, likely you will wear it out faster.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  10. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019

Ive only been in it two days now. So I have been taking it easy, un till I get to know it.
    I'm kinda upset the boss gave "my" truck to a new guy while I was on stay cation. But I get it. I was out 120 days.
    He did say it sucks on hills so maybe its the 12.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. SouthernKomfort

May 31, 2020

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.