Keep the Cummins or go Detroit?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Genesis Reese, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Genesis Reese

Genesis Reese Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Hello everybody!

I'm new on here, just joined 5 minutes, my friend said this is the place to go for information. I have a 2011 Volvo 780 with the ISX Cummins 15. Two weeks ago I started hearing a tapping noise, I took it to my mechanic and he pulled the top of the engine off. He called me and said my camshaft and rocker arms are beating again each other. I already had ran my racks on it. He said I had to replace my camshaft, intake rockers, exhaust rockers, Jake box rockers, 2 rocker shafts. Plus labor, I'm looking at $13,000. I found a Detroit 14 liter with low mileage for $5,500. My friend told me to take out the Cummins put in this Detroit and change the turbo to the Borg Warner and by the aftermarket exhaust manifold. He also told me to send the ecm and get it tuned and I'll be satisfied. Any suggestions from you guys?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Get a second opinion.

kenn2632, kemosabi49 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I would NOT do that. For one you have to change the complete wireing harnes to start. Not to mention all the sensors and everything else that's needed.

5. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    So let's get this straight...... you want to put a S60 Detriot 14l in a 2011 Volvo?

Just sell or trade in the truck. Unlikely you will save any money by attempting this.

Paging @Oldironfan you have another customer.

Nothereoften and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I agree, unless you're in love with the truck I think a for sale sign would be a better alternative.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Welcome!

This will sound harsh but it's the truth.

Your friend is a total moron and knows nothing about what's involved in that venture.... Nothing.

Start pricing out the ISX job with other mechanics, that's very expensive.

Side note, steer clear of that ISX if you have a Volvo, the D13 is a far far better motor overall long term.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  8. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Is this a reputable shop? Do they come recommended by someone you trust? This sounds too high for what they are going to do. Don’t swap to the Detroit! There’s no end to the things you will have to change out. Is this the shop wanting to swap you out of the Cummins for the Detroit? I smell a rat. Get a second opinion from a shop you can trust if there is such a thing......

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So you didn't mention the miles on the truck, I assume it may be ready for an inframe.

Also you are going to gamble on a used engine with no history?

You can't dyno the d60 or do an oa to it so why even think about it?

I mean you wil go through getting the right harness, getting the right mounts for it, having the body ecm reprogrammed and then take a chance on it imploding 100 miles down the road with a load on it, really?

Put the money into the engine you have, do your overheads more often and get more out of it.

10. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Modern day engine swaps are a nightmare waiting to happen. Which engine sensor doesn't agree with the body sensor???

11. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    You can’t put the Detroit in there. You have to replace with an equivalent EPA model or later. I had the same thing happen to my Cummins in a 2012 Peterbilt and it was 7k to do the job, replace cam and rockers. I believe I had two that were broken and one was on its way out. Had it done at Engines Inc in Allentown, PA.

kenn2632 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.