Keep volvo or sale

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Jul 14, 2016.

1. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    [​IMG] Here is the one I purchased. Been on the truck since 35k. Very clean, (extended drain) oil samples ever since.
    http://www.ops-1.com

Located in engine compartment, big external oil filter.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Picture didn't go through for some reason, but I checked out the web sight and got a pretty good idea what you were talking about.

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Any updates on this thread?

5. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Thought I'd post an update on what I've got done on this "inherited" truck of mine that has set for over 4 years. I put around 10 gallons in it 5 on each side which it already had some fuel but I figured it might be good to go ahead and mix some fresh fuel in there with it. Went down to kenworth and bought 4 batteries for her at around $120 each stuck them in there and after figuring out what wire went were started her up on the first crank pretty much. runs and sound good. So after that I removed the 2 tires that had big holes in them from my uncle trying to get the brakes unstuck and ended up having to put a flat head screw driver between the drum and the pads to get them unstuck and that worked hammer did not. truck still would not move. tires across from each other were rotating but the others were not. jacked up one set and put some 2x4's under them and she came on out. apparently you park a big truck in your yard too long (4 years) and it will sink and get stuck. so ive got her over to my house and have been cleaning it up. found out it doesn't have over a million miles on as originally thought but 765k so that's good I guess. still deciphering on whether or not to run her or sale her. i guess i need to get some insurance on it and a temp tag and drive her around a bit to get a little warmed up to her because as of now I'm not comfortable driving her to the store 15 miles down the road, just don't know. it's not something you can just pull back to the house with a chain from you truck lol although I'd probably try it anyways..

clausland and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  6. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Sounds like you got the will to get things done. It's an awesome inheritance and with the sentimental value it has to you I doubt you'd get what you feel it's worth. Especially since it seems to more of a buyers matket right now. Not to say that the truck doesn't look good or is bad either. I see a couple big pro's in this truck but you'll never really know until you try, and once you sell it it's gone for good.

Being that your uncle owned this since new is a big plus in my book. Think of how many different drivers and driving styles go through one used fleet truck before it hits the used truck market! and since your uncle was the owner he had even more of a reason to drive it right and take good care of it.

But of course like others have stated; good equipment is half the equation, the other half is for you to find out along the way.

So, I'm not going to say either way, but these are my oberservations.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    bzinger Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    You got a gem op ! And it's a decent looking truck , I'd keep it !
    Here's what I ran into when I brought an 07 vnl 780 that had sat on a repo lot for over a year .
    Bought out of an auction in Dallas and was obvious it hadn't been treated well and in fact had been run into the ground but only had 280k on it .
    Bobtailed from Dallas to Omaha and had 2 fuel filters and 2 batteries replaced and went straight to Volvo Omaha to be checked out and serviced .
    Then had 10 new tires put on and an alignment, while at the alignment shop the radiator disintegrated due to rot so towed back to Volvo for new radiator .
    Next stop the body shop for paint work and detail for a couple weeks .
    Pick up truck from body shop with temp around minus 10 and discover heater core in sleeper leaking all over hell ...back to Volvo and of course the fridge don't work .

Finally the first trip : Omaha to Burlington nj and truck runs and looks like new .
    Made it to Davenport ia and had fuel filters changed again ( black goo) , next stop Ottawa Ill for new batteries , next stop the Volvo dealer at Peru Ill for new starter .
    After all that came air bags , all wheel seals , clutch , air tanks , splitter valve on tranny , new ac compressor, engine harness , front cover gasket on engine , exhaust work , all updates on engine , new shocks .
    I would not do this again even tho after all that the truck was trouble free for 3 years after and the guy I sold it to ran it out to almost a million miles till he sold it .
    A free truck is a free truck tho .

Dave_in_AZ, joseph1853 and clausland Thank this.
  8. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Seeing that it only has 765k that changes things. I'd run it. I don't know of a Volvo to not go at least 1.1 million, that truck could make you a lot of money between now and then provided you have access to the work

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    As long as you have enough air to release the brakes. You can flat tow a truck without much issue. I flat towed mine 20 miles once to a shop with an old ford half ton pick up with a 360 in it. As long as it hold air you'll have brakes. Steering will be a little stiff though

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  10. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    my bad its around 760k on the miles.. i didn't really check until recently. i thought i remembered my uncle saying it had a million or so on it but was wrong.

Dave_in_AZ and Terry270 Thank this.
  11. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    wow!! what a nightmare.. I pray that I don't have a similar experience with this one. hopefully the mechanics at the shop doing the inspection will be able to forsee this before hand though. there real good at "forseeing" things though lol.. I expect them to give me some good and some bull hopefully i'll be able to tell the difference.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.