Keeping in shape

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dougman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Since I'm going to be one of the new kids wrestling the roads, what tips can be offered to get some physical excersise out on the long and winding highways?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LAD_Mavric

LAD_Mavric Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Midland, ON
    I would have to say that loading/unloading yourself would be one great way to keep in shape. However that is not allways the best or most practical option. I haven't started on the road yet but I think that I would try a go for a walk when/where possible. I would say if you know your going to have a long wait somewhere and the area is not too dodgy/dangerous then I'd try and go for a good walk at that time instead of just sitting around. I realize this is not allways possible as the legnth of time your waiting could be unpredictable ect... This would also be great if you have a dog on the road with you as it would appreciate the walk as well.

Just my $0.02.

4. theroadagain3

theroadagain3 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Joplin, MO
    I don't know about u, but when I was driving a truck, they almost always had someone load/unload it w/ a forklift, and very rarely did I even have the option of doing either. On average, it wasn't even once a week that a lumper would do it, and they usually want to bcuz they get so much to do it (I guess I could b wrong on if lumper gets $, probably the company). As far as the shape, I would say get out and walk or run, make sure u get some fresh air daily. I would usually do meditation and yoga in my sleeper cab. I didn't need a whole lot of room to do either, and u don't get all sweaty doing that.

5. shortcut

shortcut Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    winslow, AR
    Best way is to park at the far end of the parking lot and walk every day. go to Wally world and by a pedometer to keep track of how far you walk.You will be amazed by how little you walk as a driver.

6. shortcut

shortcut Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    winslow, AR
    What type of yoga did you do? Does it matter? I am looking for something I can do in the cab.

7. Cymerax

Cymerax Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Good to see someone else is thinking the same as moi ;?D As someone looking to get into this field of work, I'm concerned about staying healthy and have had some doubts that eating healthy is always possible or at least practical (specially cost-wise). So exercising seems to be IMO where the rubber meets the road, or maybe that's where the blubber meets the road, lol.

I'd think jogging in the morning or evening where/whenever conditions permit would be a good start, tho opportunities might be limited. I've been thinking of taking tai chi to stay in shape and learn some meditation techniques as well (can't hurt when you're stuck in a mid-summer traffic jam in Chi-town with a load of melting Haagen Dazs ;?D). Maybe callistenics is another option in the limited confines of a sleeper cab.

Any other ideas?

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Houston, Alaska
    Inclined push ups off the bottom bunk to the floor, sit ups on the bed, if you own your own truck, mount a bar onto the back of the cab for pull-ups, walk or jog when at a truckstop, depending on what enviroment your in. Depending how tall you are, you might have to diagnally lay on the bed, but you can do leg lifts, both legs in air for 30 seconds. 3 times. Make sure you stretch first so you don't hurt yourself. I refuse to become fat, although I don't think I really have the choice, I have very high metabolism...but it's good to exercise anyways.

9. theroadagain3

theroadagain3 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Joplin, MO
    As far as the yoga goes, u can do just about any pose, if u get real into yoga, I would strongly recommend getting the book 'The Yoga Bible' it has over 170 different poses. lil daddy says on here that weight training is the best option for a truck driver. I also really liked doing meditation. The best way to do that is sit in any cross legged position, and let your thoughts slow down and ur breath slow down. It can b tough at first, but over time you'll reap the benefits.

10. Aligator

Aligator Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Mississippi
    If you want to stay in shape, you will. I was just waking up from my morning nap when I noticed the driver across from me drop and do 40 (I counted) pushups. Then he stretched and shook things around.
    I'm in shape. But that's because I want to be. No formula, no magic but I do carry a 25 pound dumbell and a 2X4 around in the truck.....curls, squats, you name it....and I stretch and stretch and stretch.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.