Keeping on track! Software? Help!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cobratruckn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Cobratruckn

Cobratruckn Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2018
    What software is best to keep on track of receipts, tax deductions, tax payments due, etc? New to trucking and owner operator any help greatfully appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Leased to a company? Try QuickBooks self-employed, the app is extremely useful once you get your bank linked and everything classified.
    If small buisness with your own authority, you really would need the full QuickBooks online suite.

Cobratruckn Thanks this.
  4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Look at Letstruck.com thy have great software for tracking all that and more, it's called Profit Gauges, and a program for tracking fuel milage called Fuel Gauges.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Quickbooks, never depend on a website to keep your stuff safe.

Cobratruckn Thanks this.
  6. Cobratruckn

Cobratruckn Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Lease owner operator thru US Xpress. I did not set up a company bank account. I want to make sure I'm able to track expenses and keep my taxes paid promptly. Currently I'm not sure on how much I should pay, but I understand that paying quarterly is best. I found payroll caculaters online but still not sure if they are accurate enough to pay my taxes by. I leased a 2015 Freightliner with 410k for three years.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Are you a business or a sole proprietor?

8. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If it’s your first year, don’t worry about quarterly. After your first return is filed you’ll use that to estimate taxes for the next and evaluate at the end of each year for the next. You will most likely not have much of a tax burden the first year anyway as you’ll have plenty of expenses and your revenue won’t be at top potential as you’re just getting into it.
    Most banks have an in house payroll service you can use and access online and it is do it yourself. Or, you can have an accountant do all that. Quikbooks is good, there are several others out there that are very similar.
    If you want to track expenses and receipts only and have an accountant be your bookkeeper you don’t something like quickbooks or other accounting software. You could even go as cheap as just saving images, categorized by month, and using a simple spreadsheet to keep track of revenue and expenses.
    I have my accountant handle bookkeeping and payroll and just send them all my receipts and I keep them saved for myself. I then keep track of my revenue and expenses in a simple spread sheet, as well as my empty and loaded miles, rate per mile. If you know what it costs you to run, you’ll be very close to the final numbers from the accountant.

9. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Who is keeping your books? If no one then you need to immediately start.. You can use paper and pen, a $10ledger from staples, an $30 accounting software program from best buy, or go talk to an accountant, do a search for bookeepers. Once this is done you will have or can figure out. Your own monthly profit and loss. That will answer the question for you. Now if you just want a quick quess based on decades of experience.
    Add up all your expenses fuel, pm's, tractor LEASE payments, scale tickets, tolls etc... subtract that number from your current year to date earnings (should be listed on your statements) deduct 25% from that number.

Multiply that number by .15. Send that in for quarter 1 and 2 of this year. Then get your books up to date.
    Example year to date earnings $10,000
    Year to date expenses. $3000
    10,000-3000=7000
    $7000-25%=$5250
    $5250×.15=$787.50 send that amount.
    Bear in mind I used small round numbers for sale of conversation. GET YOUR BOOKS IN ORDER!!

Cobratruckn Thanks this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you are using open office or microsoft spreadsheet programs, you can find a number of free or very low cost templates on line. Most are basic ledger types and easy to use. Search for accounting spreadsheet.

Open office is an open source office suite that is free to download. Find more info here Apache openoffice

Cobratruckn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.