Kenworth, not the truck it used to be

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by flynnent, Mar 10, 2017.

1. flynnent

flynnent Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2015
    We are a small fleet of 25 trucks. From 1976 until 2015 we only purchased kenworths. We no longer purchase KW because of a number of issue that KW is reluctant to fix.
    1. The nav plus systems are junk, both in Magellan system and the panapacific system. They are bloated with cost of many thousands of dollars when they fail and they all fail in a couple years and KW refuses to repair on their dime once out of warranty. They will offer a reprogram which 99% of the time causes other issues and does not fix the original issue.
    2. The heater control doors in the T680 break regularly. This is a $4000 repair at a dealership. KW will not cover this issue though they know of it and have changed the design of the door that breaks. This does not cure the whole problem, the motor that drives the door is too strong so it breaks the new door also. I urge anyone with this issue to contact the NHTSB website and report it so we can force KW to fix this correctly on their dime. We have had trucks 13 months old break these doors.
    3. The paccar engine is a great little engine, I love it. Cant stand the electronics connected to it. It is a very code happy engine. It enjoys throwing code and freaking itself out then doing a full derate to 5mph for often very stupid codes that in any other engine would be a 10 to 30% hp derate so you can drive to a dealer.
    4. Ever try getting into a KW dealership to get a code fixed, I have found 2 dealers in the nation that will bend over backwards to get you in and fixed. ALL the rest I have found tell you 2 or 3 day wait. Freightliner and Volvo have time contraints on the dealers and they will get involved with a dealer that does not get an assessment done in a timely manner. KW says the dealers are independent and they have no control. Well KW, THAT IS WHY FLEET ARE MOVING AWAY FROM YOU.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Seems like with these new trucks you really need all the warranty you can get. Guy on YouTube got new 2017 Volvo with Volvo engine. 14,000 miles on the truck and turbo actuator went out. He had it fix for free. Two weeks later same part failed again. Volvo found a short or something on part. So they replaced it again. 2 days downtime each time for same repair.

4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Thank you for the info.....considering what to do next.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    The more technology they add the more problems you have. I really don't think one make is any better than another. We have all makes and none shine above the rest. Toyota should make big trucks and put all these North American built trucks to shame

iraqralph43 and straaka Thank this.
  6. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    Hmm I have been running kw for 30 years and sure they all have their quirks but my dealer always fixes them, but then again I only buy w900 and not the subpar models, the fancier the truck the fancier the repair bill

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm driving a 2017 company truck Freightliner cascadia DD15 with Detroit 12 speed auto shift and disc brakes and Optimized idle system. It work good so far. One of the cool thing or interesting is with optimized idle the computers can do and automatic parked regeneration on the DPF. The optimized idle can start engine to recharge batteries or keep engine oil warm and heat or cool the cab. That idle time fills the DPF up during a 34 you're rest. when the batteries are reaching the system will idle engine 2 hours. You do that 3 time in 34 hours that 6 hour of idle time. The computers just take over and do a parked regeneration and it only takes about 20 minutes and the new 2017 truck anyway only idle up to 1,350 RPMs for the actual regeneration cycle. I can't say how long the system will work trouble free since the truck only has 48,000 miles but so far so good.

8. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Sadly it's not just Kenworth. My Star had atrocious build quality and lots of low quality components that don't last anywhere near the time even my 2005's did.
    And I hear it about all brands. The price keeps going up 10 grand a year, but they keep using cheaper and cheaper crap to build them with.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Don't kid yourselves. The build quality of everything is going downhill. Electronics, cars, construction equipment etc. Even the most familiar name in construction equipment is pumping junk out of their factories.

10. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    They wouldn't be painted Cat yellow would they? LOL.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yep.

Had a few pieces right from new that needed some welds re-done. I will say though that we aren't really seeing much in the ways of emission issues though. We had a few quirks to iron out with some of the new stuff with DEF but nothing major.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.