Kenworth plastic dash tabs broken

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by swtraver, Mar 11, 2023.

1. swtraver

swtraver Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I have an 05 Kenworth W900L. The plastic dash tabs that the screws thread into which hold the individual gauge panels are broken off. These are the panels that hinge up from the bottom and are secured at the top with two screws. This seems like it is probably a common thing because all 4 panels have the same issue and the previous owner created some modifications that work but not well. Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cordel1

Cordel1 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Hello,
    I have had the exact thing on the T800 that I drive. I've found the best way is to get a package of small black screws (to match the dash) with washers attached. Drill a small pilot on an angle into the corner of the dash. (the dash is thicker there) Hand tighten the screw into the hole. The washer will catch the corner of the aluminum dash panel, holding it firmly in place. This doesn't look that bad and it makes for tightly held dash panels.....no rattles!! Hopefully this works for you.

swtraver Thanks this.
  4. Joyce's Volvo

Joyce's Volvo Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2016
    You could install some rivnuts , is the holes square or round where the plastic tabs go? Square ,then get speed nuts ,problem solved, they’ll work on the round holes just as well. You can get threaded or for sheet metal screws.

swtraver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.