Kenworth sunroof leaks

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by rollin coal, Mar 19, 2018.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My sunroof leaks. I'm just wondering are these sunroofs still prone to leakage even if there's a brand new seal installed? Or will a new seal not leak at all for several more years? I'm debating spending the money on a new seal from KW versus just siliconing the thing sealed shut permanently. It's a 15 year old truck and I just want to stop the leaking. Whether or not the sunroof opens really doesn't matter one way or another.

4mer trucker and Tall Mike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    When I was driving K-whoppers our mechanic chose the latter and just siliconed them all shut.
    I think with all the flex over the years they are bound to leak eventually.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  4. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with the Silicone Solution

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    If you never open it anyways. I'd seal it up. If you actually open it and the seal isnt crazy expensive I'd try the new seal. Especially if it was trouble free for a long time before.

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    3M 5200 sealant. Comes in white, black and clear.. it will never leak again , or open. Lol.

Trust me this stuff is permanent.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Take petroleum jelly and smear on the seal. It will soften up the rubber seal and make it swell up a little. I did that to a 06 I had never leaked after that.

w9l Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Thanks everybody. That seems worth a try with the petroleum jelly. I'll see what it does. I'd be surprised though. Years ago it used to just drip very little thru a truck wash or in a really hard downpour. But anymore just a little rain shower and it drips in pretty good. Going thru a truck wash it actually pours in like crazy.

I said I don't care if it doesn't open but honestly I'd hate it if it was jerry rigged up like that. At least with silicone that could be scraped away and fixed right at another time. I definitely don't want a permanent epoxy poured on it lol!

I'll probably buy a new seal if vaseline doesn't fix the old one. I was more curious if these sunroofss were known for or maybe notorious for leaking even when these trucks were new from the factory? Just seems like if that's the case spending $150 or whatever really high price Kenworth charges wouldn't be worth it.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I did a little homework on this. Turns out the company that makes these particular sunroofs that are in Kenworths discontinued the particular model of sunroof many years ago. The company is Inalfa and the model # of the sunroof is F700. Replacement parts are impossible to come by. So if Vaseline doesn't do the trick swelling up the original seal I'll be sealing it up with silicone. I did see where someone recommended liquid electrical tape brushed on the seal building it up some, allow that to dry good, then close the window - might seal it. I dunno. Never used any liquid tape before.

10. andreaolveraw900l

andreaolveraw900l Bobtail Member

May 3, 2021

By any chance do you know where I can find a sunroof replacement for a t660? Mine just recently broke and I've been looking every where and I cant seem to find it.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    First question to ask is did you check with Kenworth? If it's the same type sunroof as what was in my older 2003 T600 then you can't get it or parts for it. They quit making that particular type of sunroof about 10 or more years ago. Your only option is to silicone it around the outside so it won't leak anymore. I know that sucks but it is what it is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.