Kicked Out By IdleAire???

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pur48Ted, May 12, 2007.

1. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I am wondering if any other drivers; LEGALLY PARKED in an "IdleAir" (but not using their service) at a truckstop have been told to TURN YOUR TRUCKS OFF OR LEAVE if you weren't using IDLEAIR?

I was told this in Knoxville tonight, and even threatened with arrest (by a Knox County Sherrif's Deputy) if I did not comply. They claimed the ENTIRE IdleAir parking was a "Quiet Zone". I even had one IdleAir employee threaten to "call my company" and make sure my company "CANT USE" Petro as a fuel stop anymore.
    I doubt the LEGALITY of anyone being forced to move during a mandated "10 Hour" break, as well as the LEGALITY of forcing a driver to sleep in a "HOT" truck. Especially when the AC helps the driver breathe during times of high pollen counts or high humidity.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    According to what was said on the radio they are not supose to kick you out or ask you to leave there spots if there are no other spots available.and as far as the quit zone, sounds like a bunch of horse pucky to me.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Not sure what the agreement is that they have with the truckstops they are using. If they are renting the space and have full rights to those spots, then they most likely have the legal right to do whatever they want as far as making you leave if you are not using their service.

They are there to make money, and if you are in a spot they are renting and not using their service, then you are potentially costing them money.

Not defending them in any way, because I don't really care for them being in truckstops and blockig potential parking areas, but they probably have the right to tell you to leave if they want to. It would most likely be the truck stop management that would have to remove you though, as the truckstop owns the property. Not 100% positive on this though.

5. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    We had idleaire call the local police at the TA in Paulsboro,NJ and drivers were kicked out if they were not hooked up to the service. There were no other spots within a mile of the truckstop and the local cops told the drivers to get out or be arrested and have their trucks impounded. Now idleaire is being installed up at the Petro in Bordentown! I feel for the guys up there. I snuck in at Paulsboro that night after the cops left and was able to park the truck and go home.

6. TruckerLlew

TruckerLlew Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Something needs to be done about that scumsucking service. I am just WAITING for someone to get kicked out then get wrecked trying to find a legal parking place. Truckstops are for truckers. No service should tell a truck that we cant park there REGARDLESS of any want to do business. SAFETY FIRST, then profit.

7. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I believe that it is less than legal for; let's say: IdleAir to FORCE any driver to abide by a contract they have with the Truckstops. MY contract is with the truckstop. I FUEL and EAT there. My contract is NOT with IdleAir, and I don't think that IdleAir can force me to void the contract I have and abide by the one that benefits THEM.

8. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    Yea, this is not good news for IdleAire, they are going to get a very bad name with those tactics for sure. I have never been kicked out even though I didn't use their service, but you could tell they were mad...I guess they finally blew their tops and started being nasty about it...not good for them since most drivers in here already know of this, it will spread.

I've even tried talking to IdleAire and they won't even give ME the time of day even though I own this site so they DO need some better publicity. I would be HOT if they kicked me out and there were no more spots in there ESPECIALLY if I was in a good sleep and they woke me up.

Keep us updated, drivers, I want to keep an eye on this and see how far they take it...I bet they are DESPERATE to make some money back after all those Government grants and all...

9. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    I wonder if OOIDA would be interested in this?

10. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    sound like something they would be interested in,with all the hype about tired drivers and the 10 hour rule.

11. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

While , as far as I know, it is permissable to park in an idle AIr spot and not use their services, it is going to happen at the discretion of the operators of the truckstop, and in many cases they have declared that area a no idling zone, since that was the entire point of installing the system. I know that if I were paying for Idle Air, and someone parked next to me and decided to run his engine all night, I'd be very unhappy and would take action to have Idle Air's attendants handle the problem. If I am paying for the air, I am also paying for the quiet that goes along with it.

The specifics of this are going to be in the details of the contract that Idle Air signs with the truckstop. If it is a standard, one size fits all contract that every truckstop signs up with, then they probably do have the rights to handle non Idle Air users as part of their agreement.

Of course, I can;t for one moment see the sense of pulling onto one of those spots and then idling the truck. It is pretty obvious to anyone that those spots are not for that purpose, and anyone that parks there and does that is looking for problems and hassle to begin with.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.