Knee replacement and CDL

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by WREN, Oct 15, 2018.

1. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Ok, anyone still working after a partial knee replacement? I've been sucking it up for the last 24 years after getting hurt and injuring both knees in the Corps and then a career as A LEO and truck driver hasn't helped. I retired from law enforcement 6 years ago and have been driving full time since and it's gotten just about unbearable. I had a scope done 2 weeks ago and he said my knee cap is shot and needs to be replaced. It's my right knee, but the left isnt far behind. Granted, if the VA ups mu ratings I may just 100 percent retire, but if not I'm only 44 so still have years ahead of me hopefully.

skellr and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    From all I have heard having it done they said it was the best decision they made, some went years doing the band aid quick fixes and finally had it done and are loving the mobility again, Get it done while you are still young you body heals easier than when you are older. And if you are overweight start working on that now so you will not put so much stress on your new joint.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    My friend had his knee blown out while serving in 5th Special Forces in Vietnam. He gets a knee replacement every 5 years and doesn't limp at all. Being around him and watching his movements, you'd never know he has been wounded. 3 Purple Hearts and he's going strong. The VA has him rated 100% disabled, but he says, "OK, whatever you say; here's my address, make sure the checks arrive on time,"
    Edit: My buddy received a medical discharge after 12 yr. active duty. He then started a new career and is now retired with $7000.00 monthly pension and it's gone up more now since his social security kicked in. Still getting that knee replaced every 5 years, and fishing the rivers & lakes jumping in and out of that fishing boat like a teenager.

Videos of 5th special forces vietnam

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    TripleSix, Oldironfan and BigBob410 Thank this.
  5. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Yeah, I've read that total knee replacements are the bees knees (see what I did there lol), but not to much on partials. I'm really not over weight, I'm 5'7 and about 205 so that's not bad.

BigBob410 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Yeah Chinatown I'm at 50 percent now, but they havent rates my new things now which will put me 90 percent roughly if all approved.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Everybody I know that's had knee replacement surgery claim that it greatly improved their quality of life. At 44, you have a lot of years left, so it would be a no-brainer for me. I hobble around with my 58 year old knees now, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive truck after replacement of one or both knees.

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Just saying the lighter you can get the easier it will be, I was limping around when I got to 220 and am 5'7" and since I lost some down to 180 the limp is gone.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hope you get the 90% or better. You won't have any financial worries anyway.

10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Every one I know, that’s had one or both have said it was worth it. Most have been up and going in just a few weeks after.

11. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    I only know one person that had it done and it’s been a disaster for him. Tough surgery, then he had to have it redone in less than 18 months for some reason. He struggles getting in and out of the truck. He’s going out next summer to have it done again, for the 3rd time.

Hopefully he’s just an extreme case, where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Like I said, he’s the only one that I’ve ever known that had it done.

WREN Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.