Knight drivers, be veeerrrry careful when in the DFW area!

Discussion in 'Knight' started by tracyq144, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Apparently it is a hotbed of crime, and your tractor, trailer, load, and even your life is at risk!!!

Or at least that's what the Hutchins terminal would have you believe. "Policy", apparently, is that all truckstops, including the Love's just down the road from the terminal, are OFF LIMITS! What a crock of feces!

I have really been trying to see the "bright side" of things, but this ridiculous type of thing is making me reconsider my opinion of Knight. Let's see, I am in my truck, surrounded by another 100 trucks and drivers, and someone is going to steal my truck or load, without anyone saying anything, or calling the police? At a well lit Love's? Give me a break.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Happens everyday all around the country.
    Broad daylight, people around, nobody gets involved any more.
    PS, not sure of you status, ie compnay driver, l/o, o/o, but basically if you not a O/O that is the companies truck, they are liable for the freight, so one would think that if they have a safe place to secure the truck and trailer, and they dictate that is what they wish to do, well that is there policy, basically don't have much choice to deal with it or move on elsewhere. If you are a O/O, guess you leave the trailer where they say, do as you like.
    I know where I work, we can't bobtail into town, trucks stay on the yard. But they do have a shuttle service to tot drivers around.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    That's basically it...it's their sandbox and their rules. If they want you to park at the yard only, then taht's their choice to protect their equipment and freight.
    Same as the yard in Forest Park.
    To be honest, it surprises me that crime isn't worse than it is with the economy being what it is.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    http://www.texastribune.org/stories/2009/dec/18/keep-trucking/
    From a article in the Texas Tribune Dec 18 2009.
    "Texas has the worst rates of cargo and heavy equipment theft ' thieves rolling away with anything from semi-trailer trucks full of electronics to a backhoe on a flatbed ' in the country. It also has the worst track record of recovering stolen heavy equipment. At 16 percent, its rate of recovery falls five percentage points below the national average."

JustSonny Thanks this.
  6. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    I agree, You drive a company truck you play by there rules. But that doesn't make the rule any less stupid. And this one is. I've driven every where and parked in every city and never had any problems. Like most things in trucking it only takes a little bit of brains.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    so, does that mean that they'll WANT me to deadhead all the way from north fort worth rather than park at the congested pilot off of i-35w?

8. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Whatcha hauling driver ?????????

Be careful, you never know who's asking !!!!

Tell 'em Nunya !!!!!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    These do not have to be inside with the driver.

Criminal types know where the things are shipped from. They are bright enough to read the company name and may even get the trailer number.

Not hard to track.

10. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

They did the same thing with the state of Georgia several years ago---truck stops were off limits as well as the rest areas for parking. There are cases like in Dalton, when waiting a day or so for a load, that one has to park at the Pilot. Cant park in the street (which are off limits to all Knight trucks, even if a legal industrial parking area!). And as all drivers know, you cant always drive right into the customers facility and wait (some places wont let you in til there is room even if 1/2 hr b4 appmt time), and so ALL Knight drivers will have to violate the "No Street Parking' rule much of the time! The ONLY problem is if your rig gets hit (even if the offender is written up by a cop and HAS insurance), then the Knight driver will still get fired for violating that totally stupid rule, which all divers must violate at one time or another (and all other co. truckers do on a regular basis) in delivering freight.....

And so within the whole state of GA as well as DFW area, how do drivers not leave their trucks to: use restrooms, scale loads, buy food even if eating inside their truck, etc.

Knight, who is often totally unrealistic, couldnt care less....:biggrin_25513:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.