Knight Refrigerated puts it to their drivers but good!

Discussion in 'Knight' started by truckerdave1970, Sep 21, 2009.

1. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    It used to be company policy that all a driver had to do to earn layover pay (which was only $48) was to be available and not have a load for 24 hrs.
    Now, in addition to this, a driver must also have an 80% or better log score, complete all of their stupid safety tests, must have a TWIC card, must be caught up with our "B" services.(just a pre-trip inspection performed by a company mechanic), and be 80% compliant with the company mandated fuel solution.
    If the Knight family needs that $48 so badly, why bother with some stupid ##### policy and just take the layover pay away completely?
    What's next? No breakdown pay, no health insurance, $.02/mile pay cut, make me pay rent for living in their truck? I know we could pay for our own fuel!!! I bet that would save them a fortune.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    That smells alot like the bullrack that pulled into the Pilot here if you know what I'm saying. If they pulled that with me, I'd ask them to show me in the little red book where it's at.

Sounds like they are just trying not to pay you. Set the brakes and refuse to roll unless you got a PO.

4. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    don't give them any ideas, dave. demz morMANZ need not any more ways to steal our moneez. on a side note, i also recently saw the old 70mph so-cal division truck on the side of the road with its radiator blown to hell. coolant everywhere, and it was obvious to me that they never bothered fixing the engine fan. i felt sorry for the driver.

5. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    That "little red book" is worth about as much as a roll of toilet paper! They can change policy anytime they want, and I understand that is the new policy if you want layover pay. Personally, if thee Knight family need that money so bad maybe they should just sell the company!
    But if they expect me to sit for 24 hrs with no load AND no pay, maybe I'll just head towards home. If I have to sit and not make money, then I better be at my house.

6. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    Gas on it Driver........ but I bet you just sit there.:biggrin_25514: And do exactly what your told.

7. monster28

monster28 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2008
    santa maria ca
    knight made me pay for some of my fuel coz i went over by like 5 gallons three times and there per deim sucks they make u pay to be on that dam thing and they make u be on it for the frist 30 days and they take like 13 to 18 cent per mile offf the top for the per deim so watch ur checks lol i went 500 mile and only got 130 doller

8. Braazooka

Braazooka Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Orlando FL
    How is Knight Ref. going?
    I'm from Denver area, should i expect make decent as team?
    Does anybody knows something about a dedicated lane to this area?
    What about the equipment? APus?

Thanks

9. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    they don't have apu's and never will. they and the dry division don't give a crap about their drivers. if one quits, there'll be about 100 others willing to take their spot.

10. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Dont take my word for it, do some more research. But here is what I have experienced.
    The equipment may look nice, but it is the cheapest truck they can buy. It is underpowered, has the entry level trim package. (translated: very few cabinets, everything winds up on the top bunk) They do not have APUs, and they want you to be under 20% idle time. (thats about 1 nite a week)
    Refrigerated freight does not usually work well for teams as they take way too long to load/unload. Unless you can drop and hook, teams wont do well.
    To the best of my knowledge, Knight Refrigerated does not have any dedicated runs.
    Home time sucks. If you want to be home more than every 2 weeks, they will throw a fit! they want you to stay out 3-4 weeks at a time! And good luck getting home on the day you requested, I have been screwed over EVERY SINGLE TIME and get home 1-3 days late. If you ask for mor than 3 days off, they may ask you to clean out your truck and park it at the terminal. And you might not get your truck back!
    IMHO, STAY AWAY FROM KNIGHT OR KNIGHT REFRIGERATED!!!

Braazooka Thanks this.
  11. Braazooka

Braazooka Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Orlando FL
    I know, pretty much like any big carrier in this *#$# industry, right?
    I've seen this "movie" before with Werner and i should not expect nothing diferent from somebody that owns more than 5 trucks...
    Is the dash for the drivers blood. We feed then with our pure Blood, this how they get big: been vampires.
    In your opinion, between Knight and Gordon; wich one do you like better?
    Thanks bro! Peace out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.