Knocking from cam gear area on c-15

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by FreightyAK, Aug 20, 2019.

1. FreightyAK

FreightyAK Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2018
    AK
    So i just rebuilt my 6nz Cat and there is a knocking from what sounds like the cam gear. I pulled the head a second time and put it back together in case i overlooked something. The truck hasnt been started yet only cranked. When i pulled the head a second time i cranked it with no rockers, Jakes, injectors or cam gear and i could not hear it. The compression was loud coming out of injector holes though. I did notice there was a spot on the thrust plate that looked shiny like the cam gear was hitting it, but that is almost impossible. I dont know what to look for that might be causing this and even a buddy who has been a hd mechanic for 50 plus years is baffled by this. The head is new not reman. Same cam. There was no knocking when i took it apart so it must be something i did. Any ideas on this one?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    How did you set up the cam idler gear back lash. And are you positive you have it timed correctly????

Oxbow, pushbroom, spsauerland and 2 others Thank this.
  4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    While you have head off pour light oil behind valves and see if any are letting light oil pass thru to be sure you dont have a bent valve?

5. FreightyAK

FreightyAK Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2018
    AK
    I wouldnt think that to be a problem. The valves and cam bearings came installed by cat in the new head

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Ditto on checking the cam gear lash. It is adjustable and if you swapped the head it will for sure be different. If too tight it will also take out the front cam bearing in a hurry.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What part of alaska?

8. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I have seen #1 injector get improperly adjusted, no-no go gauge slipped off the injector and it got adjusted way to tight. Knocked and sounded just like a loose cam gear.

Probably is just adjustable idler as mentioned here. Stethascope will help locate the source of the noise if its still a mystery

Intothesunset, Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    That doesn't mean they built it right. Alot of quality issues with cat anymore.

Intothesunset and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Is it a fuel knock ? Or a mechanical knock ?

Intothesunset and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. Tmtbob

Tmtbob Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Gear lash should be set every time the head is pulled. My first thought when reading this was the gear lash. I always set it between .005 and .008 on mine without a problem. Since you pulled the head off again just double or triple your steps. Did you get the cam seal orings on and cam was aligned right. Cam gear torqued down then injectors and rocker assemblies are all correct. What about valve bridges. Are the oval holes lined up correct and all in the same side. Are all of the valves sitting at the same height before anything was torqued down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.