Know of any gyms in your area with large parking lots nearby? I'll pay you $!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by BBradUMA, Aug 17, 2011.

1. BBradUMA

BBradUMA Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Also-- if anyone feels uncomfortable taking a picture of their CDL and emailing it to strangers, no worries (perfectly understandable).... just give us a call at 855-TRK-GYMS and we'll make sure you get paid for your submission :biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 72MGBGT

72MGBGT Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Portland, OR
    There's a gym in Portland right next to a mall with ample parking. I'm not sure what the address is, or the gym. and Since I don't have a CDL.. There is no point in me doing the work to find it.

But if someone else wants to figure it out and submit it, go for it.

4. BBradUMA

Mar 30, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thank you very much!

PM me your email address :)

5. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    What exactly does this get you that typing the word "gym" into Google maps on a laptop or smart phone with a satellite view doesn't?

Another potential issue is the property owner's thoughts on having big trucks in their lot. Yeah Walmarts are ok, but there's many shopping plazas that would be truck-accessible for a gym and get you ticketed or towed.

Don't get me wrong.. I work out 3x a week and like the idea of finding gyms out on the road. On the other hand, I believe there's a few really important details you're not accounting for. Another one: how do you plan to keep the entries current?

You could probably do this without much user input with a Google mashup of gyms within one mile of a Walmart or Home Depot, or the like. I know that's how a lot of the custom smartphone apps work. Just never done the coding to give you much more than that.

6. BBradUMA

Mar 30, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Location of gym in proximity to parking combined with a collective of information from other OTR drivers who've visited the location before you. Kind of like a social networking site for OTR drivers who want to stay in shape out on the road :)

This will be a trial and error type thing. When gyms are submitted and say one is in an area where trucks are not allowed to be parked, a member can submit this information to the website so it can be updated. If any parking issues arise we will be working on diplomacy with the local property owners/governments to see if exceptions can be made.

Also-- private property owners with parking lots large enough for big trucks would stand to have more business for their other tenants as people will be coming to visit a fitness facility nearby.

There are four of us working on the project. Once we go live we will have a 24/7 toll free number for assistance with trip planning. Each gym entry will have an "Update information" button that, when pressed, we will be alerted that a driver wants newer information on the gym. We will make phone calls at that point to ensure all the information is accurate.

You could... but you'd be missing the community of people submitting information to keep the database current.

:)

Bumpy Thanks this.
  7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    The Bally's in NW Portland (OR) I go to shares a large shopping center parking lot with an Albertsons. I've seen tractor trailers go right by the gym on the way to the grocery store. There's room in the back for a big truck.

8. chicadriver

chicadriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2008
    Flying J / Pilot is building new facilities that include workout rooms. I guess you'd visit their website for locations.

9. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is GREAT news! I've only been solo for a month,,but every time I see a driver lounge full of overweight drivers, I wonder if a few treadmills could have been placed here for time spent watching television.

I'm also working hard to lose weight. I hope to be wearing a thong on the beach soon! Pics to follow!

:biggrin_25519::biggrin_25512::biggrin_25523:

10. chicadriver

chicadriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2008
    ----

:biggrin_25517: Awesome, keep it up and do post a pic :) lol - seriously, take some lysol wipes into these so-called gyms because sweat can carry bugs.

11. BBradUMA

Mar 30, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thank you very much! Added to our database! We now have over 250 truck accessible gyms nationwide and we're going to be expanding the database to Canada as well.

For a driver who wants to live past 62 (the average for a driver... shocking!) we're going to make sure they can work out every day, if they want.

The Flying J/Snap Fitness partnership is indeed good news. They're only opening ten locations nationwide though... so that may not be enough to accommodate an OTR driver who wants to work out daily. We have a bunch of Snap Fitnesses in our map though so that won't be a problem :)

Perhaps we will give a thong with our logo on it to the driver who uses our service the most :p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.