kw hvac blower not turning on on low

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by nakoBilly, May 8, 2012.

1. nakoBilly

nakoBilly Bobtail Member

May 20, 2010
    Norwalk CA
    Hvac blower does not turn on when I set a low speed, it only turns on when set to high speed.
    Checked fuse, seems fine.
    Any advise on what I should check next?

Kw t700

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Needs a new resistor. No idea where it's located on a T700. The older trucks (2001 and below) it was in the air duct behind the glove box. On the 2002-2006 dash it was below the parking brake buttons and required 8" long fingers and mirror to replace. It's like a $10 part and your dealer can tell you were it's located. I doubt they made it easy to get to. They get really hot so they put them in the air duct to keep them cool.

Unless they've changed them on the T700 it looks like this.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336490760.620573.jpg

w900 and nakoBilly Thank this.
  4. nakoBilly

nakoBilly Bobtail Member

May 20, 2010
    Norwalk CA
    Thanks for your help...the t700 dash is set up like the t2000...so ill be looking under parking brake buttons.

5. w900

w900 Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Carlisle,Pa
    I was going to suggest switch or wiring harness at switch. I wasn't aware of that sensor, that's good to know. Thanks

6. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I would call the dealer. The T2000 has a different dash than the rest of the KW models.

nakoBilly Thanks this.
  7. cowcatcher

cowcatcher Light Load Member

The resistor is under the hood in the heater box on a T2000.

nakoBilly Thanks this.
  8. belltransit

belltransit Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2010
    oak grove, mo
    if u have a pet in the truck or if u run in dusty environments thats whats hard on those resistors. the pet dander and fur and dust gets on the resistor and causes it to burn out

nakoBilly Thanks this.
  9. nakoBilly

nakoBilly Bobtail Member

May 20, 2010
    Norwalk CA
    Thanks for all great info.

10. Scrapper

Scrapper Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Nashville, AR
    They are very fun to get to also. VERY tight fit. We had the same problem but ended up being the plug. I made a new one and it worked fine. Make sure you get a good seal around it...the screws are very hard to get tight...it uses the air from the blower to keep it cool...so its important not to lose any of the air through a leak. The resistor will last longer...you can also get more debris on it as stated earlier.

nakoBilly Thanks this.
  11. haystack

haystack Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    The easiest way that I found to replace the resistor when its under the air brake valve is to remove cup holder/junk tray (2 screws on each side and disconnect one harness and its out in the floor), remove glove box and the center gauge panel. Also disconnect the abs harness from the brain box and pull the cup holder harness and abs harness out of the hole so you have more room to work. A worn out 1/4" ratchet and 1/4" socket works good to get the skrews out. Ya have to hold your mouth juuuuuussttt right to get the screws back in, (what worked for me was left eye closed and tounge sticking out).

Oh we ran into another hiccup, some have 3 pins, others have 4 pin connectors. Haven't figured out the patern on which truck has what though, might be a good thing to check before ya pick up parts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.