KW t660 overweight on steers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jdub2k5, May 25, 2011.

1. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL

Otherhalfw, the only problem with all this...

If you have not missed the ball, then it is still your serve. Heheheheee

Mikeeee

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    To all who are following this discussion, the correct answer is easily determined. Scale you own tractor and semi-trailer (empty or loaded), 1st with the tandems full forward or back and then again with the tandems in the opposite position. Don't change anything else. Now compare the steer axle weights.

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    30,372# load. #9 tandem notch, fifth wheel just front of center between drives.

Steers: 11,500; Drives: 24,780; Tandem: 27,420; Gross: 63,700.

Moved tandem only, back 5 notches:

Steers: 11,380; Drives: 26,000; Tandem: 26,340; Gross 63,720.

With this load, I only moved 120# by sliding my tandem. My placement on the scale was not exactly the same. So, smart guy, where do you suppose our O/P will put the other 480#? ...and remain within bridge?

Yatista Thanks this.
  5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The OP stated he was 12.6K on the steers.

In example above, by Injun, if he moved 120 off the steers,

he would have less than 12.5,,,,,,right?

Otherhalf stated 12.3 or 12.4 was no problem, right.

Am I close here, or not.

We all KNOW you can't move thousands of pounds by doing this, but sometimes a hundred or two Does make a difference.

Yatista Thanks this.
  6. Yatista

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Your exactly correct. Now who was it that said moving the tandems will not change the weight on the steers??

7. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Will not change the steer weight appreciably, I believe is what I said.

8. Yatista

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Yes, that is what you said. I had post #26 on my mind, not your post.

9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills

I wasn't trying to describe how to build a tractor or trailer, I assumed, apparently badly, that when I said tandems that statement would include the tires. The trailer sits on the 5th wheel which supports a portion of the weight. See where I'm going?

Still building a tractor. That was not the subject.

See, you missed the entire point. The weight of the trailer, loaded or empty, is supported (how many parts should I list) by the 5th wheel and the tandems. A portion by each. The portion supported by the 5th wheel, through a whole list of parts, is carried on the steers and drives. That list of parts includes the tires. A part (portion) of the weight is on the steers. Although I did not discuss moving the 5th wheel in my original post I do hope we all know moving it changes the "proportions" carried by the steers and drives. Moving the 5th wheel does not add weight, it changes the proportions or distribution on the steers and drives.

My statement was clear, sliding the tandems adds or subtracts from the weight carried by the 5th wheel. Are you disputing that simple statement. Or do you claim that none of the weight of the trailer, loaded or empty, is carried on the steers. My position is that the steers carry a portion of the weight and that proportion changes when you move the 5th wheel.

See above, the portion of the trailers total weight, empty or loaded, that is supported by the 5th wheel is distributed to the steers and drives in some proportion. If you add or subtract weight from the 5th wheel it will change the weight proportionally on the steers and drives.

Really, the trailer has no weight?

See, you can be correct about some things, even if it is off subject. Since you actually stop on the scale your taking a static weight.

Once again off point. I did not reference the center or balance point of the trailer. What I referenced was a theoretical positioning of the 5th wheel that would not add or subtract weight on the steers. I don't know if any tractors are built to allow for carrying a 5th wheel that far back but anyone who has pulled a semi trailer on a pintle or ball hitch is aware of the effect it has on the steers of the tow vehicle.

Excuse my foolishness, since I was doing so much adding and subtracting I mistook it for math.

PS: Whoops, I put my responses inside the quote. My bad

10. jugganaut

jugganaut Bobtail Member

May 6, 2011
    holy,denial
    #### this is funny :biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523: sum peeps just cant handle being wrong o well thats what makes us huge cargo hauling articulating limo drivers bahahahaahha

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  11. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Which is why I "picked apart" your multi object/example post. Because the poster of #26 didn't articulate..."an appreciable amount", or "of any great amount"...you chose to use verbatim his words with no allowance allowed.

Yes I see...but I wasn't building a tractor...I was using your exact words just as you did with post 26! And directly responding with no allowance of assumption of your exact thought!
    Now you get it...off subject!

See, you missed the entire point. The weight of the trailer, loaded or empty, is supported (how many parts should I list) by the 5th wheel and the tandems. A portion by each. The portion supported by the 5th wheel, through a whole list of parts, is carried on the steers and drives. That list of parts includes the tires. A part (portion) of the weight is on the steers. Although I did not discuss moving the 5th wheel in my original post I do hope we all know moving it changes the "proportions" carried by the steers and drives. Moving the 5th wheel does not add weight, it changes the proportions or distribution on the steers and drives.

Perhaps...since you insist on using "big words"...it would be best for the readers to know the definition and that the use of any specific word, when improperly used, can cause the reader to become confused. In this state of confusion...comprehension of what you are projecting falls flat like a bullet with no gunpowder.

Now in this segment I have quoted you use the correct words/terms you should have used before....portion or part!

Moving either the tandems or the 5th wheel does not alter the "freight weight", it does change the "displacement of weight"...now this "displacement of freight weight" is not proportionate directly to either the 5th wheel or the tandems....it would be proportionate to the total gross weight....comparing empty weight and loaded weight of the tractor/trailer along with the weight of the freight.

If you wish to discuss physical dynamics...I think you should go back to school and learn the application of, and the relationship to, physical and contained volume. Along with the terms, phrases, and dynamics of physics. To be "proportionate to" is a comparison...not a "part of"!

Would you like another chance at rereading this "portion" of your post...maybe rephrase or find one subject reference to discuss in one paragraph. The first sentence I dispute you not in any way...nor have I ever disagreed with sliding the tandems adds or subtracts from the weight on the 5th wheel. ("carried by" is not only unnecessary but inaccurate!)

The third sentence is exactly how you play in the political threads...attempting to use words or phrases that the poster you are disputing never said. Please go back and check my posts on this subject...I never once said the steers have no relation to the weight of the freight, the weight of the trailer, or the displacement of weight overall!

Yes the steers support a portion of the overall gross weight of the unit(s)...but please tell me (now that you know the definition of "proportion")...what is the proportionate ratio of the steers to whatever you keep referring to proportions?

You really really like that word don't you...and you used the adverb of the root along with it...but not correctly:

Twisting...twisting.......are you running out of the semantics you like to play?
    Me off subject? Surely you jest....what exactly do you call this?
    Better reread your own words....BTW...you can't alter my post quoting you...so reread and regroup!
    And that reference is where....in your imagination after the post and having time to think of a way around getting caught in your own BS?
    You are really stretching for the point now aren't you?!!

A semi trailer on a pintle or ball hitch...you have a very deep bag you're pulling from now aren't you!
    As they say..."The Fool On The Hill"
    ...LOL....sorry couldn't resist!
    There is a small difference to "Math" and "Arithmetic"....."math" involves algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and geometry.....where arithmetic is simple adding and subtracting...and for the advanced group multiplication and division!

To sum it all up....everything you have said is proportionate to a trailer full of goose feathers!:biggrin_25514:

You know Yats...it is fun to work out with you and your posts....but it takes far more time than I am willing to give up....there are better places to fritter away the hours....like The TTR Hijack Thread!:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.