KW vs Pete suspensions? Are they similar?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Onemanshow, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Onemanshow

Onemanshow Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    richmond hill on
    Trying to find out if Pete's flex air iis the same as kw's flex suspension. Since I've owned ag400l that looks exactly the same as low air Pete's but ride was rough. Big difference in ride. Mine was 2012 ag400l on T660 and 2002 ool style low air i believe on 387 and 2017 low air on 389.
    Drove my buddy's 2015 pete 388 with front factory air ride and loved it. He said it rides so smooth that his previous volvo 780 with front air ride wasn't as smooth as his new 388.
    Now my question is does KW have same front air ridewride two small bags each side as pete does? Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I’m not sure if KW offers air ride on the front axle, I’ve never asked and don’t think I’ve ever seen it on a KW.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know if you really want air suspension on the front axle anyway. It's nice to have a steel suspension front axle. Your cab will soak the rest that it does not.

Big trucks have a general similarity in behavior over common types of airride suspensions in use today, the make does not really matter because that is just the Cab Body and certain other things.

KW builds are pretty quality if I say so myself, my last T2000 was just trouble free, and it had to be for medicines to deliver. I would prefer some other rig, but that was what I was issued and that was what I had to work with. The truck did great on bad concrete roads. Just a normal steel suspension up front.

5. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I’d have to agree, I owned a 2007 Volvo with air ride front axle, I really couldn’t tell a difference with it.

6. Onemanshow

Onemanshow Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    richmond hill on
    i rode 2016 or '15 388 pete bob tail and loved it. same as my 389 12/40 loaded. that was my friends truck who runs ontario quebec and claims it runs smoother in those montreal roads then his previous 780 volvo

7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Can't get the air ride front on a W900 i tried this on one i ordered.

My 389 definitely rode incredible with Factory front air suspension... It's a very very good setup !!

Onemanshow Thanks this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    There is nothing bad about the handling on air ride fronts on the new petes. We have been busting the pedestal where the back bag mounts, which is bad, but these are in sever duty use on the haul road, I doubt it would ever be a problem on the pavement.

There is a guy that has been building air ride fronts for petes and KW's for several years at fox, these have been tested and survived the haul road for years, but have gotten pricy. He may not even be doing it anymore since pete has started offering it from the factory, even though his are a little heavier duty.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.