Labor costs on an overhaul in your area?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by OW/OP Wolfman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Guy over by me spent $30,000 on a REMAN Cat C-15... Ridiculous Money right there!!!..Didn't help any that the Ripoffs over @ Patten CAT did the engine swap

I would imagine probably $13-$15k on a simpleton inframe....Just Crazy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I don't have my paperwork handy, but my ddec 3 was inframed for $6800 plus tax. that was for everything. parts & labor. local shop. over 30 years former williams detroit shop mgr N. AL area.

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I'm sure it's cost of living difference. Although when the Fayetville shale was booming many of our customers were 150 to 200 miles away. I tried to convince myself that quality of work over road price but it's hard to say. We ain't getting rich but are keeping the doors open and putting a little back. I think your better off doing everything you can your self no one cares about your rig like you do

5. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    the cost of doing business here is high. land is high. iv been wanting to buy a say 5 ache plot of un developed land say 5-10 miles out of town for years now and every time something like that comes up its 150-200k. something that already has any buildings or a well or anything like that the price really goes sky high. if you were to have a truck shop you would have to pay top dollar for you mechanics to try to keep qualifyed help.

iv been taking on some outside mechanic work lately just because its the slow time of the year for me and iv gotten all my little projects completed. and i have the space and tools to do it. people are funny, the smaller and easier the job you can charge them a amount that you almost feel guilty about and they are happy as a clam you do a big job that you put 20 hours into then give them a break on the bill before you even bill them for it and there still upset over the bill.

I am the opposite, i get more upset over paying 100 bucks or more for something i could have done in a hour or less myself where a bigger job that would have taken me a long time to do im happier with the big bill knowing that i didn't have to do it. i haven't had my trucks in anyone shop for a long time now. well over a year. other than some on the road tire repairs and some stuff like that. even that anymore i get upset about because i have tire tools at home and end up waiting to get in for a tire repair for hours knowing if i was home i would have been done with it hours ago by the time i even get pulled in.

i don't really blame the shops for charging what they do but im sure they don't blame me either for going out of my way to avoid bringing stuff too them.

wore out Thanks this.
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Did a MBE 4000 four years ago. Labour alone was $6,000.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Here CAT charges 42 hours for a single turbo at $115 an hour and 47 hours for twin turbos.

8. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    That's really not bad for a CAT house

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They said it sometimes takes more time but that's what they charge for labor regardless. Is there really much more BS to a twin turbo? I mean really 5 hours extra time involved just because it has twins? Everything else is basically the same. Surely a good mechanic could tear down and re-install twins maybe an hour more time than involved with a single? I wondered about 5 hours extra for that but i've never done twins before so I don't really know.

10. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I think 5 hours is a bargain lol. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the compound turbo's, I have them on one of my B models. I do cuss them anytime I work on that side of the engine. It can be a bear when your going back to get them aligned perfect, some may not put the effort into a job that I do but I'm a clean freak and a perfectionist when an engine is open.

11. Edgar2191

Edgar2191 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2013
    In my area its 2500 mom and pop places for overhaul plus parts.The dealer are charging 40-60 hr por over haul at around 115 an hr.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.