Lack of privacy policies at shippers

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by boesshawn, Jan 4, 2017.

1. boesshawn

boesshawn Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I have been asking at shippers as I go across the country about their privacy policies regarding the information that is collected from drivers on our cdl. I have not yet found a place that is willing or able to tell me how long they keep the information or what it will be used for. I'm not saying that the information may not be needed. It might serve a valid purpose. What I'm questioning is how secure that information is kept and who has assess to it.

x1Heavy and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I was never asked any questions except for my DL.I would be hesitant leaving the guard shack any personal info even if it is their policy, lie if you have to.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    It's not secure from the time you hand over your CDL. You think that security guard making minimum wage is concerned about your information being kept secure after he just photo copied your Drivers License? I don't think so. Sure isn't hard for him to print another copy after you pull away from the gate and then sell it or give it to someone that potentially can steal your identity.

Toomanybikes and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I refuse to give any company my PII unless they have a valid legal reason for requesting it, and have a policy in place as required by Federal Law showing who has access to it, what they use it for, how long is it retained, and how is it destroyed. I had to go into WallyMart a few weeks ago for some contract work, low and behold, I was told I had to provide my drivers license. I refused, handed them a company ID, which has my name and my picture, no PII. The Guard said Drivers License only. I advised the Guard I would not give him, or anyone at WallyMart my drivers license unless they provided a valid business reason and privacy policy. He wanted to argue, I decided to leave, called my contact and advised them I was refused entry, and why. 10 minutes later he called back and said the Guards always ask for it, they are not aware policy is any photo id works, they just need to verify who I was. I drove back, same Guard took and made a copy of my Company ID, I could tell he was not happy about it, but I have had to dig out of identity theft, and it has been 17 years, and I don't want a repeat of it.
    If I were a Company Driver I would ask the company I work for why they allow shippers to collect PII with no controls, and why you can't show your Company ID. I would ask who is responsible should my PII be used for identity theft. At the end of the day your company will be held responsible for what you do, the contract the shipper/receiver has is with your company, not you. They ask for it because it is convenient and no one challenges them under fear they will get fired for not giving it up to get through the gate. If I were an O/O there are plenty of places you can get a picture with your name and company info on it, so O/O should not have to either.

Toomanybikes and trucker3205 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Use a fake id that has fake social security number. Can buy any type fake id you want on the internet.
    I've never used my real name when signing in.
    A couple of places wouldn't let us use the electric pallet jack unless we had a pallet jack license. I got a fake one on the internet and it worked; also got a fake fork lift license.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That's just asking for trouble though.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's an adrenalin rush living life on the edge!

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    At my last job I would load lime at a quarry in Virginia. And every January, they'd come around with their annual safety training video. You'd watch the video, fill out a form with your name, company name and a contact phone number on it. In return they'd give you a sticker for your hard hat. I never had a problem with it until one year they changed the form. They wanted name, company name, phone number, drivers license number, and Social Security number. Of course I protested, asking why they needed the SSN. Their reply was 'for our records'. I refused, and they kicked me out, and asked that I never return.

Recently I found out why they 'needed' the SSN. A handful of people actually gave their numbers and later found themselves heavily in debt.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Perfect example of why to use a fake number.

Hick Thanks this.
  11. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    LOL from who!? Who on this planet is going to catch you? And then who is going to punish you!?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.