Lady LTL trucker wanting to make change, need advice

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jungledrums, Dec 25, 2017.

1. jungledrums

jungledrums Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hi everyone and Happy Holidays!

I drive for a wonderful LTL company but I am wanting to break into the tanker world because I just like tankers!! They are totally cool!! I'm making changes in my life and I'm ready pursue my interests in tanking!

So, here's my deal.
    I can move anywhere. Nothing to tie me down.
    I have a perfectly clean driving record with four years driving experience otr. All endorsements. No twic card yet but that will be no problem.

I want to apply to the top companies first.
    I don't have to be home every night either but it would be nice for a change!

I'm in great shape and I'm strong for a woman. I think I could do most tanker type jobs.

I want to hire in with an awesome company that will treat me respectfully and good, a company that I can retire well with.

Thank you all for any and all advice!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W9onTime

W9onTime Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Your hired , just pick your poison , they will probably pay you to make recruiting ads, lol

4. jungledrums

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
  5. Mainah

Mainah Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Winslow, Maine
    Superior Carriers and Trimac would be two good companies to look at. Houston is a great place for tankers. Lots of different companies around there. The best thing would be to get on to a private fleet and haul chemicals that the company makes themselve's. You won't regret the move to tankers!

jungledrums Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    All I can say you will love tanker work.

Tankers generally by and large have better equipment and decent people because of higher standards that apply to these things. Even my old walking beam mack with it's 30 foot milk tanker going to and from farms into baltimore each morning had pretty 100% not breaking or bad equiptment. It's not acceptable to to let things not be fixed and stay fixed in tanker. It's food grade and sanitized among other things such as a State license issued to you to grade, collect and weigh milk at the farms. You would be the first point in ensuring that whatever you put into that tanker is safe for people to drink tomorrow. So if a farm has bad milk, you reject it and not load it into your tank because the dairy will REJECT you and all the work the farms did before and after the bad milk man.

As I said you will love tanker work. Enjoy!

There is one little thing though.

Go to McDonalds. Buy a tall coffee cup. No lid. Fill it with coffee as you like it.

Put it on the floor of your tractor cab in front of the shifter in the center under the dash. No lid.

Drive.

If you make it 30 minutes without SPILLING IT, you qualify for tanker work.

7. jungledrums

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    Houston, ok. I like Texas!

Superior and trimac, got it. Thank you!

8. jungledrums

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    Tanking to dairy farms would be cool I bet.

I will try the Micky D's coffee test as soon as I return to work! Lol.

I like driving as smooth as possible, I'll see how I do. Thank you!

9. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    We've had drivers leave our ltl company to pull tankers. They all came back

Texas_hwy_287 and jungledrums Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Plan on spilling that coffee. And have towels or whatever it is you need to make a clean truck again.

DO NOT PUT SUGAR AND MILK into that, save it for when you finished. Otherwise it might ruin the cab a little bit then smell.

The concept behind the coffee test is simple. That liquid in the tanker is going to show you who is boss. It will be up to you to master it. As a woman, Im not worrying about your ability. For example when the light turns green, you ease off the brake and go forward a smidge. Gently. And she will walk on. Liquid goes to the back of tanker. When it gets there, hold a minute before you shift. There is that behavior going on. That liquid is now going to try and pile up in the front and you work your shifting and power to calm it down.

I can go on forever, but rather not. You will learn fast enough.

jungledrums and rolls canardly Thank this.
  11. TakinItEasy

TakinItEasy Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2012
    OKC, OK
    Girton/LLL transport. Regional tanker work. Either chemical or Ethanol.

jungledrums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.