LAKE PLACID, Fla. (WFLA) – 20 injured Truck hits school bus

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by albert l, Dec 13, 2017.

1. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Semi-truck slams into school bus in Highlands County, several injured

LAKE PLACID, Fla. (WFLA) – Two students were seriously injured Wednesday when the bus they were on flipped over after being hit by a semi-truck.

The Florida Highway Patrol says the school bus was headed north on US-27 and stopped at Lake Ridge Drive to let students on the bus around 7:30 a.m. The driver had activated the flashing lights to warn other drivers that the bus was stopped.

According to the crash report, the semi-truck was driving behind the bus and didn’t stop in time.

The truck slammed into the back of the bus, pushing it off the road and causing it to flip onto its side. Troopers say 39 students were on the bus when it was hit. Authorities tell News Channel 8 the students were middle school and high school age, and say the bus was headed to Lake Placid Middle School.

Two students were flown to Tampa General Hospital with serious injuries.

Doctors from Florida Hospital Lake Placid say they treated 20 patients from the bus crash with injuries that were not considered life-threatening. All patients have been treated and released.

“It could have been far worse,” hospital administrator Denise Grimsley said. “I believe there were 30 some-odd children on the bus, it could have been far worse. We could have had major casualties at the scene.”

“God was smiling on Highlands County today,” she added.

Both the driver of the school bus and the semi-truck driver suffered minor injuries.

The semi-truck driver, 45-year-old Stanley Lockwood, was charged with careless driving.

[​IMG]

Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    No excuse for this. You never strike a loaded school bus, if that means cutting the wheel and taking a ride over the bank, you do it. Careless driving. Thats a ######## slap on the wrist.

Hurst, Swedish Chef, magoo68 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Dang, what is it with Florida school buses and trucks?

Dave_in_AZ and longbedGTs Thank this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Wide flat roads with few red lights give the false confidence to go faster than you should.

wore out, Lepton1 and bigkev1115 Thank this.
  6. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Any truck driver with a brain should realize that between 6 30am and 8am and 1 30pm to 4 30pm August to June should anticipate school buses being on the road at any given moment

7. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    ELD welcome for more problem

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    ELD'S my ###. Let me say again no EXCUSE none

Opus, spyder7723 and bigguns Thank this.
  9. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    It's not the buses and truck drivers. It is solely the truck drivers.

magoo68, spyder7723 and wore out Thank this.
  10. Assured

Assured Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I am not out on local roads much while the shool buses are running, but the city buses where I live seem to be almost completely above the law. Often, I find it impossible to actually pass them while driving my car legally - simply driving my car at the speed limit gets me passed multiple times by the same bus until that bus either stops for passengers several times in a row or it takes a turn. Had one a few months ago that was desperate to pass while I was bobtailing, began to pass me on the right in a lane merging but stopped for a passenger, caught up with me about half a mile farther down the road, and used the left turn lane to get around me (impeded me when I attempted to move over for a stopped towtruck on the shoulder).

addrenjunky Thanks this.
  11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    ELD should stop this from ever happening ever again.o_O

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.