Landstar 2021

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHossVolvo, Dec 25, 2020.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Well, 2020 is almost over, 2021 is supposed to be this great year for freight. Thinking Landstar again, because these Canadian companies are just getting to ridiculous with their ########.

I’m currently doing power only contracting to IHaul Freight, it’s pretty good, but you still have to deal with their trailers, dispatchers (somewhat) and lately their safety department is starting to get ideas.

In my opinion, going on your own out west is suicide. So that leaves Landstar, although it has been pretty rough the last couple years.

Thoughts? @Elroythekid @mudflap77

joey8686 and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Condi

Condi Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Going west is suicide... please explain

4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    If you’re trying to be an independent doing van/reefer out west, you simply won’t get work. The big boys have everything wrapped up out here, so you will be forced to go empty to Ontario, go south, back to Ontario and usually empty to get back west.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  5. Condi

Condi Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Landstar is good with canada- bound loads and not much going back. Im really considering doing something else for living. Its no longer worth it.

Aamcotrans, BigHossVolvo and magoo68 Thank this.
  6. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Why don't you sell your trailer and try something else like flatbed or car hauling. I think saying there is no work is more a symptom of not being able to adapt rather than there not being any work.

7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I haven't sorted out what I'm doing yet. I'd like to stay out of the US if possible. And east of Windsor ontario. Thinking of buying my own trailer and getting my own numbers. Reefer maybe, but like I said, unsure. Going to try the load board demo again and see if I can make heads or tails from that.

8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Those industries have been hit hard by low ballers too.

BigHossVolvo and Condi Thank this.
  9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Cause car hauling and flatbed are even worse! Reefer is keeping a lot of us going out here. The majority of Vans I see are Megas, Landstar or Amazon.

I could just keep doing this power only reefer gig, but it’s tough some days, dealing with these chair jockey idiot dispatchers, CSRs and Safety people.

10. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Have you ever tried Loadlink?

11. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    I really don't know what to suggest. It is getting tougher to find any freight out of the west at Landstar at times.
    I don't know what the refer rates are like. My understanding is that the refers are kind of a closed group and most loads never touch the board.
    @DaytonTD I'm guessing you don't know western Canada. More freight goes then leaves. What is there is tied up. What is left is .79/mi 45000lbs crap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.