Landstar - Answers to Questions

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by SixBrix, May 21, 2007.

1. SixBrix

SixBrix Bobtail Member

May 20, 2007
    Everywhere, USA
    I got a PM from a forum member here who had some questions about how Landstar works. Since I haven't acculmulated enough posts to be able to PM on this forum, I figured that I'd post it here in case others had some of the same questions.

Questions:

-Do you have to have your own plates?
    -I have an unregistered truck - can I sign up with it just like it is?
    -Do they get your plates and permits for you?
    -Do you have to put up money up front?
    -Do they have an orientation?
    -I got their information packet and it included some copies off the load list. Are those prices on the load list what the truck gets or do you have to take their percentages off those prices?

Answers:

Yes, they have an orientation. It last for 2 days, and is in various locations around the country. You have to provide your own way there. They put you up for one night in a motel, and provide lunch both days. You can either driver your rig there or go in your four-wheeler.

The plates and permits work in one of two ways. You can get your own plates or you can let Landstar do it for you. If you do it yourself, it will probably cost around $2200 for the apportioning and everything, depending on what state you live in. If you let Landstar do it for you, your truck will be registered in Illinois and costs $1850/yr, which they take out of your weekly settlements over a 7 month period, but doesn't begin until the 6th week that you are with them to help you get going without too many expenses.

You don't have to have any money up front to get started. However, it would be wise to have enough savings to cover any breakdowns that might happen while you're getting your feet wet.

As far as the load board goes, if you see a load for example, that is 2500 miles for 5000.00, that $5000 is the gross line haul before Landstar gets their cut. I'll use a flatbed for this example. You get 75% of 98%, which is the same as saying that you get 73.5% of the gross, which is easier to calculate when you are in a hurry. The loads are listed in one of two ways. It will either say $5000 with no additional comments (or $5000 FSC incl). When you see this, you need to tell the agent that you want the FSC and the LH (linehaul) itemized. You want to do this because you get 100% of the FSC, but only 73.5% of the LH. So, the math would work like this if the FSC that week was .32 CPM:

Gross - $5000
    LH - $4200
    FSC - $800
    TTT (To The Truck) - $3087 ($4200 x 73.5%) + $800 FSC = $3887 TTT

$3887 divided by 2500 miles = $1.55 TTT

They will also give you up to a 30% advance on the LH on your fuel card as soon as you accept the load, plus 100% of the FSC, so your maximum advance would look like this: $1260 ($4200 x 30%) + $800 FSC = $2060

Always remember to have the FSC broken out of the LH. In the example above, if you didn't do this, your TTT would only be $3675 ($5000 x 73.5%) instead of $3887

The other way that you will see loads listed is "+fsc". When you see this, using the example above, the math would be as follows:

Gross - $5000 + $800 FSC
    LH - $5000
    FSC - $800
    TTT (To The Truck) - $3675 ($5000 x 73.5%) + $800 FSC = $4475 TTT

$4475 divided by 2500 miles = $1.79 TTT

Hope this helps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    If you own your own trailer take the gross and minus 26.5%. You only have one math operation that way.

4. Chiricahua

Chiricahua Light Load Member

May 21, 2007
    Great State of California
    Great info and breakdown of the items.

Do you know if they will provide you with a 2209?

5. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I didn't get a end of the year forum because I was incorporated. Just used the final statement of the year that stated the YTD income. I kept all the statements thru the year to document all the deductions I was claiming for the things like license and insurance that they deducted.

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I have never been an O/O, but seems to me if your company is out of State and you run their plates, something happens and you quit or whatever; you drop off their equipment how do you get home with no plates? Seems to me I would want my own plates.

7. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I did not tell them I was quiting until I had the truck sold and money in my hand, or the bankers hands in my case.

If you get fired then you have a problem.

8. kd5drx

kd5drx <strong>Master of Electronic Communications</stron

Nov 28, 2006
    Some where USA
    Actually i have switched companys several times and drove to the new one with out plate's as long as you have the regestration from your old company and there old ifta most scale houses and such understand. You can get an intransit no haul temperary if you want i am not sure the cost but about any dealer can set you up. Or the new company can send you a temp regestration to get there on its not to hard to do. I live in Ok so i usally run my own base plate as its a little cheaper.

9. Chiricahua

Chiricahua Light Load Member

May 21, 2007
    Great State of California
    I had thought that you needed a Form 2209 Federal Heavy Highway Vehicle use Tax Form to pay for the taxes in advance if your company didn't file one and give you a copy?

10. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Oh you mean the 2290? You have to pay that yourself every year.

Keep in mind when you go to pay it, that the stupid IRS will not accept cash or a comcheck. BUT will accept a personal check without any questions.

1pissedoffdriver and Travelinman Thank this.
  11. krockodile

krockodile Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey man that was some great info on Landstar, I am new to being an O/O but I am bigtime into computers and software etc. I have been trucking for 11 years now, send me a reply so maybe I can ask yoi some more questions? Ok Thanks :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.