Landstar Contract Carrier Informaition Wanted!!

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by DirtHownd, Aug 16, 2007.

1. DirtHownd

DirtHownd Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2007
    North Las Vegas, NV
    I am considering getting into Landstar's Contract Carrier Program.

I currently have my own authority, lnsurance, plates and everything that they require for the program.

What I am wanting to find out is if there is opportunities within this program to stay closer to home in the Southern California, Nevada, Arizona areas. Are there many loads available back and forth within these areas?

I live in Las Vegas and do not want to go out on the road for weeks at a time. I prefer to stay close to home and spend time with my wife and child as much as possible and make a decent living at the same time.

Any info or help any of you can give me an this subject would be greatly appreciated.

The program looks like a pretty good deal, with being able to pick and choose your own loads from their load boards and all.

I am mostly wondering if there is enough freight available in the areas that I want to run in to keep me busy enough to still make a decent living.

Also, does anyone know what the current freight rates are in these areas thru the Landstar program?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone may be able to provide me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadhog

roadhog Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2007
    No man's land, Ohio
    I and welcome - hold on - I know there is someone on here that works for LandStar and an ex-employee - they'll be here soon - best of luck!

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    The short answer would be no. Not if you want to work exclusively with them. Landstar's freight base is not that strong in the west, and NV is not a particular strong point in that area.

landstarbroker.com is where you'll be able to see what loads they have for brokering. You'll have to call them to find out the rate.

You may be able to put some thing together using a couple different contacts.

5. roadhog

roadhog Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2007
    No man's land, Ohio
    Oops - there he is!! LOL

6. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    When I had a truck leased with Landstar, I hauled out of Michigan to the West Coast, and then spent several weeks just going up and down (from LA to Portland/Seattle and back) for a fairly good rate before I got a load going back east. I was getting upwards to $2.15 a mile (FSC included) on these West Coast loads. Thats why I stayed out there for weeks at a time.

7. DanceswithHorses

DanceswithHorses Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Marshville ,NC
    We have hauled loads independtly on several occasions and we were very happy with them..Everything was as promised...Not sure how we found this out but we were told that if you are deidcated to them,the loads do pay more...

Heather

8. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Its true, if you are leased to them usually you get a little bit bigger cut.

9. risyl32

risyl32 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Brickman, could you tell me the difference, if there is on, between Landstar Ranger, Landstar Ligon and Landstar Inway? Thanks.

10. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Those are different companies that have been bought up over the yrs. Basically there isn't much difference now.
    All new leases go thru Landstar Ranger

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    That is probably good that they lease through Ranger now. I was leased through Inway and the book of brokers was not very large. I had to request the Ranger book. It was alot thicker than the Inway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.