Landstar Corporation - Jacksonville, Fla.

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by fatboy1, Jul 3, 2006.

1. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    The last I knew,Landstar hires small fleets of trucks directly leased to them,the contractoer hires these drivers,they are not owned by landstar as far as I know. maybe this has changed. I have also talked to many landstar oo's out there,they have showed me their load posting boards on their laptops,also have personally told me if anyone gets caught holding or hiding and saving loads,they will be fired if reported. It also shows the mileage rate and exactly what is required,tarps,no tarps,no surprises,you need the experience or brains to stay in the freight lanes,but overall they are still a dam good company,that's directly from drivers I have talked to. They als have said it used to be better,but overall they are still happy. As far as surcharges are,yes they should give it all,and are supposed to,but not many companies are honest out there and most don't give it all to you. If they were so bad,there would be more than one or two people constantly bashing them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

You are right about the small fleets and also right about that not every body likes every thing that LS does but that is going to happen any where you work. But for the most part its great. I don't work any where close to the hours I used to, run legal and gross just as much money to the truck.

4. jarken22

jarken22 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2006
    British Columbia
    Does any ooida member's work # LANDSTAR?

5. jarken22

jarken22 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2006
    British Columbia
    Sorry spelling do any OOIDA member's work at Landstar?

6. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn
    Does it matter, like OOIDA is going to do anything lmao. Most of us here at LS are going or gone bankrupt. There coming to take my truck next week.

7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow sorry to hear that, hope every thing turns out OK!!!!!!
    What do you have planned

8. bigwillygbcs

bigwillygbcs Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2008
    glen burnie,MD
    that sucks wreckless, but speak for yourself i've talked to at least 200 landstar drivers my dad being one of them and everyone is doing fine, all you have to do is stay in good freight lanes, manage your fuel and say no to cheap frieght and you'll do fine

9. wreckless4thf

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn

Dude there is so many people who has went bankrupt at LS it ain't even funny lol. The people that are hanging with no problem so to speak are those that don't have many bills or no/low truck payments. It's not like it's landstar's fault other than they sure didn't help no one out by no means and they sure are still getting that huge chunk of every load and there like 40% of the fuel surcharge that is put into the rate unless it is on seperated on paper line haul/fuel surcharge. You would have to work here to understand what I am talking about. My main agent cng said he can't even find drivers to take the loads he has now that so many trucks are gone. Even corporate told me that they had 3 leaving for every 1 they could put on so that is a joke. I sure as crap ain't in the mood to argue about it neither. I just answered a post, what the crap is OOIDA going to do for anyone. They wouldn't even back the truck strike over the diesel prices. Duh huh huh, we are supposed to run legal and say no to cheap freight (meaning 90% of the freight). Good luck guys, I am on my way to company driver hell again.

10. wreckless4thf

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn
    I thought I would clarify some of my post above before going to bed so nobody gets the wrong idea.

Example of dirty fuel surcharge crap.

Chrysler for some reason will not put on paper that it is paying a fuel surcharge they just raised the rates instead, it used to be around a 1.50 and now they are paying around 2.25 but because it's not in the contract as a fuel surcharge landstar takes there % out of the whole rate leaving you with 66% of the fuel surcharge.

That is just one of the shippers that are doing this, they aren't that many doing that but many are putting in there contract low fuel surcharge rates even though the rate is plenty high enough to pay a nice fuel surcharge. So there again the owner/operator get's screwed.

Example: Some government loads are paying 2 something a mile but there fuel surcharge in there Landstar contract is like 18% so that is what LS breaks out for you instead of breaking out what would be fair out of the rate for surcharge.

Other companies out there like Averitt, MDS, Old Dominion, Estes, etc. will not even contract freight without getting a much higher surcharge than we ever get on EVERY LOAD!!!

One more thing you guys need to look at, the fuel surcharge we usually get don't even cover the cost of the fuel on actual miles, then go deduct that your surcharge is figured on how the crow fly's miles and deduct an average of 50-100 miles dead head out of that as well and see how much surcharge your really getting. Landstar is making a freaking killing off the surcharge in legal ways. They use household movers guide shortest possible route to figure your surcharge out. Pc Miler even gives an extra 30-50 miles per 500 mile trip on it's shortest calculation based on truck legal roads. These trucking companies has figured every way in the book to screw the drivers in this country. When asked why they don't use the practical routing for fuel surcharge and loads just for our information on how much we are really getting paid per mile they answer: I don't know that is just the system we have always used.

BS, they know exactly why they use it and it's to screw you the driver. That way when you see a load on the board and it says 2.00 bucks a mile and you call on it to take it very quickly before it get's gone and after you take it you run it pratical and woooooo, your rate just dropped to 1.50 per mile and figure another 75 miles to dead head, well it just dropped to 1.25. Landstar may be one of the better owner/operator companies in the country but by golly they will still steal every dime they can get from every driver they have. I wish everyone here could see my paycheck and see all the bs fee's they get you with, they nickel and dime a person to death and when you add all that crap up at the end of the year it comes to hundred and sometimes thousands of dollars not including the money they try to take off you when you make lcapp purchases, make sure you get charged on your check what the agreed price was before the purchase. They have got me 3 times for around a 100 bucks each time that I caught them and they had to pay me back and they say they just can't understand how those mistakes are made. BS, you have to watch your checks like a hawk at ls or they will steal you blind. I can't count how many times wrongful charges was pulled out of my check that if not really watched most people would just let it go not knowing what the charge was. Yea Landstar cheats, they just do it smarter than most companies lol. And you will always have those on here defending them to the death that there oh so honest, I used to do that as well and when I finally started seeing everything people was talking about it really made me sick, but hey they all do it right?????? I just want to say that trucking is the most dirty business I have ever seen, even dirtier than the used car business. Now I am going to bed since I have ranted enough. Goodnight folks.

Big Duker and Malik88 Thank this.
  11. bigwillygbcs

bigwillygbcs Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2008
    glen burnie,MD
    wreckless i wouldnt say that, my father has a 1600 a month truck payment plus he has 50,000 inb credit card debt and not because of landstar, but because of andewrson trucking they f'd him over bad ever since her got here at landstar he had paid down his credit card debt 5,000 dollars in 3 months, plus the truck payment, cell phone bills, house phone, 3 car payments the whole 9 yards, and i'm moswt sure somke are goin g bankrupt, i know one that is, but he doesnt want to run thats his problem, i am npot sayiing your like that everyone has a diffrent situation, but fact is i deal with my parents monthly bills and everything total comes up to 8500 a month, and he still has 1500 a month to live one not the best but its working, he is just dealing with the right brokers and the right frieght lanes, i hope u can get out of your funk, i'd hate to see anyone in vbankruptcy cuz for one my paresnts were there 13 yrs ago and 2 i f'd up really bad with a female and i've been in it since 19, and i agree with the f/s crap every company out there finds away to steal it in some way, we all know that, but once again that is our fault wouldnt you do it if you could get away with it. but i do agree with you on the things u said in your last post charges i have found on the settlem ents just didnt add up so i called and had it fixed i've had to do that 5 times in 3 months, one example is, i asked for some canadaian papers to be sent to me in the mail instead they overnighted it, on the next settlement i was charged 35 bukcs for it, i let that go, but then the next settlement they charrged me another 50, needless to say i got refunded the whole 85 dollars. I'm not trying to fight with you cuz i dont know your situation, i'm just saying people can survive with a high debt rtatio, i witness it day by day 1st hand

I'm not exagerating about there montly bills either, i do the finances at the house, my mother does work also but she only brings in 10k a yr and that money is for her, she works part time

Oh and i beleive if every driver stuck together out there, there would no more getting just 65% of the load it be more like 85% of the load, i undersdtand landstar needs to make money to, but when the other day i took a load for my father and landstar got to keep 1200 bucks of it, if just 1,000 of lanstars trucks did the same thing, landstar just posted a gain of 1,200,000 dollars a bit much i think and remeber they have about 7500 trucks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.