Landstar Inc. - Jacksonville, FL.?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by LilWayne, Mar 14, 2006.

1. kodiak700

kodiak700 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2006
    I was with landstar for 5 years in their step deck division, i made out very well hauling their military freight and from time to time to relax a little i did haul their dry vans but not enough to comment on, the loads i did get were reasonable but then again they were nothing campared to their stepdeck in terms of payment

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EaglesWay

EaglesWay Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Alabama
    Hello Everyone, Does anyone know anything about Landstar? I am currently considering purchassing a truck and going with Landstar. Any Info??? Thanks

4. weasel

weasel Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Ive talked to several ownwer operators there, and have heard nothing but good!

5. JanceeTrucking

JanceeTrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2007
    We are leased on to a different company that essentially allows us to look for our own loads if our broker isn't doing his job. We have used the Landstar Broker board a LOT in the past and were always surprised at how much more those loads were paying versus ones found on other sites such as getloaded, etc. What we didn't realize is that the loads posted on the "Broker" side of the board (landstarbroker.com) are the left overs and not really the prime rib of what's actually available. So, like others, we have been doing our research and trying to figure out if we would actually benefit (and quickly) from switching to Landstar as a BCO. I think one of the biggest ways that we will gain is with Fuel Surcharges.

When we get a load from the company that we're currently leased on to, they give us a flat number and kind of giggle when you mention a fuel surcharge. With all of that said, hauling flat bed and staying out a month averages us about $1.75 a mile (loaded & unloaded - but we try not to deadhead more than 100 miles).

When we look at what we average on a Landstar Broker load (again...keep in mind that those are the left over loads that no one else wanted) we can bump that number up to just under $2.00 a mile (loaded & unloaded).

The key factor for us, besides $$ of course, is that we are already finding about 50% of our own loads anyway (not always through Landstar).

So...why not find 100% of the loads, have no broker to blame if the truck sits, and start picking the creme de la creme of what's to be had??

Did anyone read the latest article in OverDrive mag about the top 3 companies to be an owner op with? Besides Landstar, Dallas Mavis and Fed-Ex were in the group...hmmm...is it corporate advertising or is it true???

:happy7: Michelle
    Jancee Trucking - Greene, NY

6. strongworx

strongworx Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2007
    florida
    Anyone ever drive for this company?Its based out of Jacksonville FL

7. new_york_1

new_york_1 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2007
    YES I HAVE .I LIKED LANDSTAR ALOT.ONE OF MY BEETER CHOICES IN THIS CRAZY MESSED UP TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY.WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO NO ABOUT LANDSTAAR

8. strongworx

strongworx Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2007
    florida
    Everything.I wonder if they take newbees,pay,bennies etc...

9. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Well landstar is O/O, you may find a few small companies who lease to Landstar that offer company driver positions but your actually a company driver for them not Landstar.

Landstar takes a full year to start making real money. This is really due to the fact of learning the system. Basically its a bunch of broker loads that are on landstar trailers( or yours if you own your own). You need to get to know the brokers, you need to understand what loads to take and what not. another words your destination may put you in an area where little fright is coming out of. You need to learn about the loads that never even hit the load board. (this has alot of getting to know the brokers). As I said usually takes a full year to learn the system. but money can be made a landstar after that.

10. detour1

detour1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2007
    yea,you need to learn the system .

11. bassman_74

bassman_74 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Jackson, GA
    i was check out landstar broker.com and i ws wonder were does say the pay. i see the trlr type, and weight, and miles but not the pay part

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.