Landstar

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jarken22, Jun 6, 2008.

1. jarken22

jarken22 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2006
    British Columbia
    Hey guy's anyone tell me is Landstar a good company to work for with my own dry van?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    I'm assuming you are Canadian so you will be limited to international or inter Canadian freight. there is quite a bit of freight into Canada with rates from $2.25-$1.50 including fuel per mile. Rates out of Canada run from $1.00-$2.25 per mile including FSC. You may not to want to hear this but the cheapest rates are out of the west with the best paying from Ontario and Quebec. I don't know if relocating is an option but you would do much better being domiciled out of Ontario. I knew a few boys out of Ontario making big money but that was a few years ago and they were heavy into automotive. Maybe someone could give you more up-to-date info. Most of the Canadian freight is not preloaded so having your own trailer would be an advantage.

Landstar is really picky on paperwork, logs, 120 day inspections, maintenance reports etc. They have some good people working in their office but most seem to be refugees from flipping hamburgers and know nothing about the trucking industry.

You pretty well have to have a cell phone and wireless computer with them. You may want to check wether you would need two plans, one for the U.S. and one for Canada. The Canadians I've talked to say it is expensive operating in the States on Canadian plans but I'm sure your friends up there could give you better info. I know my wireless card, which goes through Rogers in Canada is really expensive, charging by the byte. On my cell phone I pay an extra $10/month which makes my Canadian calls local. Without a plan it can run $4-$5/minute. I've heard it is as bad operating in the States on a Canadian plan.

Let us know how things go. Best of luck.

4. jarken22

jarken22 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2006
    British Columbia
    Okay thank's native Dancer

5. Kaonix

Kaonix Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2008
    In my, Truck
    Current Landstar O/O and I love it. I'm in the U.S. tho. This is my second lease with them and would do it again.

6. nutznbltz

nutznbltz Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Apple Valley,CA
    My husband and I have heard from one trucker leasing from landstar that he is very happy with the company. Our lease with USXpress will be up in November (omg! YAY) and we just dont know if we should try to get our own truck and find a company to deliver for or go with Landstar. How many miles a week do you get? How are your directions? How is the relation ship with your dispatch?

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    My suggestion is to pm Brickman. I know your numbers are low to prevent it, but he is a moderator and you should be able to send to him.

8. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    My understanding with Landstar is your the quality of your relationship with your dispatcher depends on how well you get along with yourself. I have been told that you are your own dispatcher. You work directly with freight agents for your freight. They say that most of them are good. I was told it is best to find ones you can work well with and deal with them primarily.

9. BUGGSIE

BUGGSIE Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2008
    THREE RIVERS MA.
    Hi i was on with them for two years, and loved it . I sold my truck and trailor 8 years ago after driving 21 years 13 for company 8 years as owner operator out of all of them i loved land starr in way.
    I was happy being home not being on road for 5 years the last 3 years i am kicking my self for selling my truck .
    I am trying to get a truck now and called landster and would go back on if i could .
    If you go on try and find a agent to work for so he can keep you( bussy for give the spelling ) but i have to get a year prior driving or they wount hire me i ve ben driving oil truck and no trailor so they said i have to drive a year for some one else
    hope this helps you den

10. trustinfuture

trustinfuture Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2009
    franklin,ma
    Here I am,sitting in my cab since wed. and today is sunday,not been able to get a decent load.The best at landstar so far,is the fuel burned at my own expense and off course,money spend at truck stop.Imagine a load paid $1.07 mile and I get 65% for my truck.Yeahhhhhhhhh,this is the company to work for.:biggrin_25512:

11. Hungry Hippo

Hungry Hippo Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Marshfield, Mo
    That is why I quit!!! loads were extremely cheap, between $ .80-1.40 / mi off the board minus their percentage, I sat home for over 3 weeks looking for a good load, it never came, Flatbed just died out, Dry van freight was so cheap I just would not do it, I tried to inlist the assistance of several Agents, to no avail, they would only help me if I would just agree to haul lots of cheap loads in the above range, this was when the economy started falling. I loved the employee's of LandStar, I Loved Most of the drivers of LandStar, alot of the agents were below a tolerable level though, I Just could not make it for the rates that they thought I should be glad to take. I would go back in a heart beat if I thought I could make a good living! NOW, THERE ARE DRIVERS THAT DO VERY WELL AT LANDSTAR, THEY HAVE WORKED OUT A NITCH WITH SOME VERY GOOD AGENTS, AND HAVE BEEN VERY BLESSED.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    pinebars and truckinwva Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.