Lane change jumpers piss me off

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truckermario, Apr 8, 2012.

1. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I'm at the Oak Grove MO Petro after getting fuel. I discover a trailer tire going bald(oops). The shop informs me that the TA on the other side of the overpass has a much shorter line. Trouble is the exit of the Petro is a right turn only. There's no access to I 70 except to turn left down the next street. I'm not going to I 70, but the truck stop there can make a nice turn around to get back onto the street going to proper direction.

I turn right out of the Petro and ease into the right lane and turn on my blinker. I wait for an opening so that I can change into the left lane to turn down the street not even 500 feet away. I see a gap.

Pick up truck tries to beat me to the lane change.

I wheel my truck back into right lane while he DOES THE SAME THING!

So I'm thinking I spooked him into abandoning the lane jumping and I try again.

WRONG!

He jumps me again and flies by me. He flips me the bird. I give him my air horn.

Dillweed. :biggrin_25516:

Attention four wheelers. Those blinkers are not for decoration! I know you see them blinking away! It doesn't mean speed up! It doesn't mean change lanes faster than me! It means I want to move over!

And remember... Your car is a ping pong, and our trucks are a bowling ball!

This was the same day that I heard on the news radio about a car driver and his passenger being severely injured because the car driver pulled onto the shoulder, seemingly to let the faster truck driver pass him, only to decide it would've been a good idea to attempt a U turn.:biggrin_25513:

6Shooter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fat albert

fat albert Light Load Member

I used to work wiyh this one guy,his moto was the turn signal does not mean I want over it means I,m coming over.

windsmith Thanks this.
  4. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    How long have you been driving??

If you ain't used to the crap the 4 wheelers do by now, you never will.

5. Gizmo_Man

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    "If my blinker is on, I am NOT asking for permission"

j3411 Thanks this.
  6. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Experience, my friend is valuable. If you'd driven through the parking lot instead of getting on the service road, you'd have come to the traffic light and made a left.

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    We have several different instructors at my school, each with a different driving style and comfort zone. One of my instructors stresses that if there's a space for you to fit in the lane that you're needing to move into, then TAKE it - or you may not get another chance. Well, while driving with a different instructor, I moved to the left lane before a merge and when I tried getting back over to the right, everyone behind me started to pass on the right. I'm doing the speed limit, mind you. Well, after a mile of driving at 55 with the right signal on, I saw a gap and took it, despite that 4 wheeler that was 5 truck lengths behind me doing about 20 over the limit trying to beat me to the lane. The instructor looked over and asked me if I saw that car coming. Yup, I did. It was a safe lane change, but I guess it was a bit outside of his comfort zone.

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Sad part is, I see trucks going down the road with their blinkers left on more than I do seeing them use them for an actual lane change.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Back in the day I ran a Glue lam T/T into S. CA. Usually around 90-120' overall length. It had 8 blinkers on each side including the 2 on the light bar on the end of the load just below the LONG LOAD sign. When there was an opening of more than 200 feet:biggrin_2559: blinkers came on and after 3 blinks I'd be come over biatches.:biggrin_25523: [​IMG]

joey83854 Thanks this.
  10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I subscribe to the "I signal my intent, not to ask permission". If I see a spot and I turn on my signal, I'm coming over. Sure, I'm not a jerk about it. But, in a truck you can't wait around sometimes for a four-wheeler to have a conscience.

11. Gizmo_Man

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    I never "ask" for permission either.

I "just do it".

If no one likes this concept??

they can kiss my hairy white arse.:biggrin_25522:

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.