Laredo to Labrador City, Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mccark, Jan 31, 2017.

1. mccark

mccark Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Oakville, MO
    Hi all,

I'm on a load to Labrador City and would like to know if anyone has any experience with the route in February. I usually don't get nervous about driving in north america but this one has the red flags up in my mind. I'm going to alcohol the air lines and adjust the antifreeze for -60. Checking on a sat phone as well.

If you have any tips, I would appreciate it. I guess timing the route out of Quebec City north would be smart to do as much as I can during the short light.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kevin

albert l Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Nice run.
    Take lots of pics.
    And don't forget to get the T-shirt in Lab City. Lol.
    The Newfies are friendly folks.
    Enjoy your trip.

4. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Don't shut your truck off and put some fuel additive anti gel in your tanks when you fuel, also safe to have a bunch of groceries

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Plan your fuel... it is likely just cardlocks once you get past a certain point and your card had better be accepted or you may be SOL ....
    +1 bring groceries just in case
    if you buy your fuel in Canada you don't need anti gel, but if it makes you feel better then more power to you...
    Here is a good website I like to use to see the temperature forecast, mostly just to see if it is going to be deathly cold:
    http://www.intellicast.com/National/Temperature/TEMPcast.aspx
    You won't see -60.

dca and albert l Thank this.
  6. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB

dca Thanks this.
  7. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB

Fuel in Canada at this time of the year is made for cold weather and you don't have to add a bunch of additives to it.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  8. mccark

mccark Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Oakville, MO
    Guys, thanks a lot for all your answers! Probably has been thousands of runs there, nothing to worry about. I had visions of needing 24 ply tires.

Dumb question, how do the card locks work?

I'll have the company I'm leased to check on the efs card.

Again, thanks. Will keep y'all updated with info and some pics.

Cheers,
    K

9. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia

I don't trust Husky enough to take their word heh

10. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    They work the same as any other cardlock, swipe, input pin and pump number, pump

11. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    That's big miles Kevin .... and from the civilized world ... north east into the wild !! As previously posted, bring groceries in case you're stuck for a few days. Decent groceries. Google it. Survival food. Doritos are good for Googling survival food only. Warm clothes and blankies in case you lose heat. My old fashioned northern survival kit was a triple army artic sleeping bag, a tobacco can with a roll of toilet paper inside soaked in something like Sterno for emerg heat .... granola bars .... etc etc .... anyway, Google it. "Artic trucking survival checklist" ... I learned the old fashioned way long before Google ...

What's the load ? Mine stuff ? Deck load ? Do you have a load out ?

It's been MANY years since I did the Trans Lab Highway. @Prairie Boy Lucien, didn't you guys run some loads there last year ? Pipe ? Anyway, I think the Trans Lab Highway is pretty much all paved now ..... No really, it used to be 6 days of gravel and moose / caribou way back when ..... good food source BTW.

Pay attention to the weather. In Canada www.theweathernetwork.com .... keyword search "where Santa won't go" ..... LOL ....

Which way are you coming up ? Thru Maine ? Or Ontario ?

Send me a PM if you want. My experience is pretty old, but I might be able to answer some questions or re-direct them. One of my close friends has LOADS of experience with the Gaspe and northern Quebec runs.

'Luck

Oh - EDIT !! Tools !! If you're handy, bring tools and parts. Google that too .... spare clamps, duct tape, various lengths of scrap hydrolic hose that can be temporarily wrapped around a cracked rad hose .... extra fluids ..... etc etc ... you seem like a smart guy so I think you get the idea ....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Wymon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.